Pipd's Peeps!

Hello, all! Sorry for being so quiet here this past week! Mostly it was for a lack of things to post, but a couple days ago it became a result of a small amount of family drama, just in time for the holiday. :rolleyes: Suffice it to say I hope that those of you who celebrate it are having a better Thanksgiving than I am!

Anyway, I thought I would stop by with pictures of the kids since they are 7 and 8 months old as of this week! :D I took the pictures a couple days ago (pre-drama), just didn't get around to cropping until today. First up, the OEGBs at 8 months old. The boys are shedding and regrowing their tail feathers at the moment, so they aren't quite as pretty as they were last time. This also made them a LOT less cooperative than last time (or maybe the pecking order shake-up did that?), so this was the best I could do for them. The girls were just being stinkers, so their pictures are also the best I got of them. :p

Achernar, big boss rooster boy:

View attachment 1969797

Altair, the delicate flower :love

View attachment 1969798

Rigel looking unfortunately stained...

View attachment 1969805

Toliman, with his poor clipped wings from too many escape attempts :p

View attachment 1969806

And Vega, my teeny-tiny sweetheart :love :love

View attachment 1969807

The boys have integrated together well and are now sticking together as a rooster flock, though Rigel paces at the fence at free-range time because he's used to being out and about with the flock. :hmm Too bad. Anyway, here are the three boys mingling together in their yard:

View attachment 1969802

Oh, and one last shot of Rigel. These OEGBs are very expressive with how they hold the feathers on the backs of their heads. I guess in this case it means he was a little alarmed by me coming into the yard for pictures? :lol: Vega is also notorious for doing this when I pick her up without permission, sort of like she's saying, "Excuse you!" Anyway, this was the first time I'd been able to really catch it in a picture and it made me giggle. :D

View attachment 1969804

Moving on, here are the EE girls at 7 months old, starting with Ganymede, who's finally over brooding!

View attachment 1969800

Mona, with her beard spiked. :p

View attachment 1969801

And Fifi with that big beard :love

View attachment 1969803

What a cutie :love :love

View attachment 1969799

Just for fun, here are just a few of the older girls from the same day. Myrna the Dorking, looking quite round these days:

View attachment 1969820

My sweet Elly :love :love

View attachment 1969819

And a couple silkied Cochin munchkins :p Abra, who looks lovely after her molt :love

View attachment 1969817

And Rowena, trying to decide if it's worth it to turn around and sass me. :p

View attachment 1969821

Hope everyone has a safe, happy, and very filling Thanksgiving! View attachment 1969825
The flock is looking good!

I hope the drama is better soon

Thank you both. :D I mentioned to my mom that I think my current camera chip is busted (it's been glitchy lately and sometimes not registering in my camera) and she surprised me with a Black Friday sale chip that's a MUCH larger capacity, so I guess I'm obligated to fill it with chicken pictures now. :p So, in other words, be ready for more pics soon.

The family drama, well. :rolleyes: It's over now, but... I suppose it doesn't hurt to explain a little. It's not like we had fistfights or anything, so don't be too disappointed. :lol: Basically, my brother decided on Monday to invite himself, his girlfriend, and her child to what had been planned already as a small Thanksgiving here, so we had 3 days to make adjustments to the menu for more people, make preparations for space for them to stay overnight since he decided he wanted to stay through Saturday, get things around to occupy a third child (on top of my niece and nephew who were already going to be here), etc. Then on Wednesday, he drops the bombshell that he's coming that day, not on Thanksgiving as we all expected, leaving us to scramble to finish those last-minute preparations. So it was 3-1/2 days of stress, discomfort, awkwardness, and a lot of hiding away in my room because I just couldn't handle it otherwise. Thank goodness that's over with! :th

Thank you both. :D I mentioned to my mom that I think my current camera chip is busted (it's been glitchy lately and sometimes not registering in my camera) and she surprised me with a Black Friday sale chip that's a MUCH larger capacity, so I guess I'm obligated to fill it with chicken pictures now. :p So, in other words, be ready for more pics soon.

The family drama, well. :rolleyes: It's over now, but... I suppose it doesn't hurt to explain a little. It's not like we had fistfights or anything, so don't be too disappointed. :lol: Basically, my brother decided on Monday to invite himself, his girlfriend, and her child to what had been planned already as a small Thanksgiving here, so we had 3 days to make adjustments to the menu for more people, make preparations for space for them to stay overnight since he decided he wanted to stay through Saturday, get things around to occupy a third child (on top of my niece and nephew who were already going to be here), etc. Then on Wednesday, he drops the bombshell that he's coming that day, not on Thanksgiving as we all expected, leaving us to scramble to finish those last-minute preparations. So it was 3-1/2 days of stress, discomfort, awkwardness, and a lot of hiding away in my room because I just couldn't handle it otherwise. Thank goodness that's over with! :th
Christmas will be here soon!

I hope that goes better for you

I busted out the new camera chip for some pictures today! :D It's been chilly and windy all day, though, so the girls weren't exactly in the mood to have their pictures taken. :idunno Oh, well!

Here's Achernar with a handsome, over-the-shoulder pose. :drool

Achernar handsome.jpg

Callette the Silver Gray Dorking at the feed pan :love

Callette.jpg

A close-up of Cazzie Cochin (and a full body shot below, too)

Cazzie close up.jpg
Cazzie.jpg

Fancy the Partridge Rock, looking fancy :love She seemed a bit taken aback by me taking her picture, though. :lol:

Fancy.jpg

Flury Floofle-Poofles looking innocent. :lol: This is what's happened to the steps leading onto the deck, ugh. Gonna have to dig those bricks out and redo them so they're a bit less, err, ankle-twisting.

Flury floofles.jpg

The last of the Guineas :hmm I never did find any remains of the others out there...

Guinea flock.jpg

Look at all them chickens... :p This is all they wanted to do, huddle under the forsythia bush out of the wind.

look at all them chickens.jpg

Marka! :love Not sure if she's posing fabulously or giving me a warning glare. :lol:

Marka.jpg

Nadine (Black Copper Marans, aka normal-sized chicken) next to Vega (OEGB, aka teeny-tiny chicken) :p

Nadine and Vega big and smol.jpg

Nadine again. Love those eyes! :love

Nadine close up.jpg

Perdita the twisted-leg Dorking relaxing under the forsythia bush. :gig

Perdita lounging.jpg

Raven, the lovely old Wyandotte :love

Raven.jpg

Roha, who stopped in the middle of grazing to come over. You, uh... You got a little something there... :p

Roha grass beak.jpg

Rooska doing an about-face for some attention. :love Gotta love those Orps!

Rooska looking for cuddles.jpg

Vega :love :love Oh my goodness, she was being the cutest li'l birdy!! :love I couldn't decide which picture I liked more, so have them all. :D
Vega on my lap.jpg
Vega seriously cuddling.jpg

Vega keeping warm.jpg

Vivienne looking positively shiny! :love

Vivienne.jpg

And lastly, Winter. I feel like I haven't gotten a good picture of him in ages, so I was stalking him a bit. Can you sense the fear and confusion in his eyes? :p
Winter.jpg

One last one of Winter, when the wind caught one of his sickle feathers. :lol: Just thought it was comical.

Winter tail wave.jpg

I busted out the new camera chip for some pictures today! :D It's been chilly and windy all day, though, so the girls weren't exactly in the mood to have their pictures taken. :idunno Oh, well!

Here's Achernar with a handsome, over-the-shoulder pose. :drool

View attachment 1974643

Callette the Silver Gray Dorking at the feed pan :love

View attachment 1974644

A close-up of Cazzie Cochin (and a full body shot below, too)

View attachment 1974645 View attachment 1974646

Fancy the Partridge Rock, looking fancy :love She seemed a bit taken aback by me taking her picture, though. :lol:

View attachment 1974647

Flury Floofle-Poofles looking innocent. :lol: This is what's happened to the steps leading onto the deck, ugh. Gonna have to dig those bricks out and redo them so they're a bit less, err, ankle-twisting.

View attachment 1974648

The last of the Guineas :hmm I never did find any remains of the others out there...

View attachment 1974649

Look at all them chickens... :p This is all they wanted to do, huddle under the forsythia bush out of the wind.

View attachment 1974650

Marka! :love Not sure if she's posing fabulously or giving me a warning glare. :lol:

View attachment 1974651

Nadine (Black Copper Marans, aka normal-sized chicken) next to Vega (OEGB, aka teeny-tiny chicken) :p

View attachment 1974652

Nadine again. Love those eyes! :love

View attachment 1974653

Perdita the twisted-leg Dorking relaxing under the forsythia bush. :gig

View attachment 1974654

Raven, the lovely old Wyandotte :love

View attachment 1974655

Roha, who stopped in the middle of grazing to come over. You, uh... You got a little something there... :p

View attachment 1974656

Rooska doing an about-face for some attention. :love Gotta love those Orps!

View attachment 1974658

Vega :love :love Oh my goodness, she was being the cutest li'l birdy!! :love I couldn't decide which picture I liked more, so have them all. :D
View attachment 1974661 View attachment 1974662
View attachment 1974660

Vivienne looking positively shiny! :love

View attachment 1974663

And lastly, Winter. I feel like I haven't gotten a good picture of him in ages, so I was stalking him a bit. Can you sense the fear and confusion in his eyes? :p
View attachment 1974665

One last one of Winter, when the wind caught one of his sickle feathers. :lol: Just thought it was comical.

View attachment 1974664
Very nice!

Hi, all! This month's gone by in a flash! Hope everyone's having a wonderful holiday season! :) Not much happening here other than lots of baking and gift wrapping. This past week I've also been dealing with fowl mites again. UGH! :barnie They seem to be resolved for now, but I'm looking at possibly a rotational treatment plan for over the winter while the birds are cooped up to make sure they're kept gone. I would really like to see the last of those creepy-crawlies for good this time! :mad:

Hi, all! This month's gone by in a flash! Hope everyone's having a wonderful holiday season! :) Not much happening here other than lots of baking and gift wrapping. This past week I've also been dealing with fowl mites again. UGH! :barnie They seem to be resolved for now, but I'm looking at possibly a rotational treatment plan for over the winter while the birds are cooped up to make sure they're kept gone. I would really like to see the last of those creepy-crawlies for good this time! :mad:
Elektor every two weeks and spray the coops with a garden quality spinosad.

Happy New Year!

Thanks, Ron! I've been looking at Elector, just that price tag puts me off a bit... :hmm I'm thinking it'll be worth it to do in the spring, though, when I don't have to worry about spraying the girls down with a water solution mid-winter. I definitely don't want to make chickensicles out of them, even if that would solve the mite problem, too! :p

Back
Top Bottom