Pipd's Peeps!

Apologies, I'm here and okay. As okay as anyone can be with the current climate of the world, I suppose! It's been... tough after my last post here, but I'm getting through it and I've had plenty to distract me in the meantime. I have plans to memorialize my dear Elly, but haven't gotten around to much of them yet because it involves looking through her pictures and, well, that's still quite hard for me to do. :( Anyway, I have so much to catch up on here, and so much to catch the thread up on!
forehead wipe whew.gif

Since my last post, the chicks have grown so, so much! As I predicted from their markings, the blue, green, and red leg band OEGBs are boys, and the SDW is a girl. To my delight, the yellow leg band baby is a girl as well!!

As for the Silkie mixes, while that's supposed to be a sexlinked cross, I'm questioning it at this point. Rosey is definitely a boy (see the pictures I'll post in a moment, here), and Peanut Butter appears to be a girl still, but the other three sort of occupy an area of development between those two that has me wondering if maybe I got more girls than I originally estimated. 🤔 We'll see.

They are all named now. I've been... sort of hesitant to reveal one of those names because it was inspired by a well-loved member here who passed on not all that long ago. It was very unintentional, but this little one reminded me of one of the discussions I'd had with said someone, and it suits her well and seems to be stuck now. I hope that I don't offend by having named a chicken after this someone--I'd been worrying over that for a bit and wasn't sure if I should even post it here. 😬

We've had some losses and some ailments over the past two months, sadly. I very nearly lost my big girl Lydda after I found her with a prolapse and the beginning of fly strike. It was fortunately caught early enough that she's made a full recovery and is back to her full-appetite-wielding self.

My Freema's fallen ill as well, though she seems to be stable and possibly recovering after a lot of TLC. :fl I'm not sure if I could handle losing my sweet Elly and my old gal Freema in the same year, let alone only a few months apart.

At the same time, I've suffered another big loss with the sudden passing of my call drake, Malcolm. He was fine the morning of July 24th, and then that evening, he was gone. Crash was very distraught and led me to discover his remains, completely untouched as if he'd simply laid down and fallen asleep. Another very sudden death from these call ducks and yet further confirmation that I've made the right decision to not add any more of them to the flock. Crash is starting to move on with the company of the chickens around her and is currently living in the chicken yard with them. However, she's back to being a MUCH LOUDER DUCK like before she was paired up with Mal, which is kind of sad. :hmm She'll have more permanent housing soon, once I've rearranged some pens.

And at some point last week, Darwin, my big Dorking boy, started acting unwell, which was unfortunately all the opening that Dante needed to win over dominance in the rooster flock, in the mean time beating Darwin nearly to death. Dar wasn't able to recover despite my intervention, and we lost him, too. :(

The end result of that event is that Dante needs to go. He'd already been knocking on that door with some aggressive behavior towards me, and now he's on the warpath with every rooster near him (even Murphy, who's always been a sort of peace keeper in the big boy flock!), and I can't handle that kind of discord in my flock. I still need to call and see if my usual processor is even open right now (gosh, I probably should have done that by now--where are the days going?), but hopefully soon the flocks will be more peaceful with a few fewer birds in them.

Goodness, anything else? I can't think of any other BIG events that have happened in the meantime. I'll go ahead and put the baby pictures in a new post because, well, it's been like 2 months and there are a lot of them. :p Hold on to your hats!

Pictures! I will start with the older kids, who I refer to as my feather dusters. :p Their last pictures were around the middle of last month, at about 3 months old, so these actually are out of date already. Their 4-month photoshoot is coming up, though!

Here is Buzz, my mixed boy:

Buzz.jpg

Dandelion, my Dandy chicken 😆 She's such a nosy little squirt (see the below pictures :rolleyes: )

Dandelion.jpg

Myrtle, my elegant little lady ❤

Myrtle.jpg

Zinnia, my spunky adventurer :love

Zinnia.jpg

And lastly, Mr. Green Band, who finally was given a real name - Gus!

Gus.jpg

I had a black silkied Cochin cockerel before named Gus, but he was only a few months old when he passed abruptly, so that name never really became associated in my mind with him in particular. I really like the name Gus for these guys and I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal to reuse the name, though to make myself feel better, this Gus's full name is actually Gus 2, Gus for short. 😄

Anyway, oh, man, the babies! There are so many pictures for them and I don't know if my computer can handle putting them all in one spot. I put together growth update pictures for the group of friends who helped me name them, though, so here are at least individual shots of them as they grew. Names are on the individual pictures!

One day old (these were also on the last page, but this also includes my guesses on male or female :) ) :

all da babies.jpg

One week old:

all da babies 1wk.jpg

Two weeks old:

all da babies 2wk.jpg

Three-and-a-half weeks old (oops, I was busy at the week mark :oops: )

all da babies 3.5wk.jpg

Four weeks old:

all da babies 4wo.jpg

Five weeks old:

all da babies 5wo.jpg

Six weeks old:

all da babies 6wo.jpg

Seven weeks old:

all da babies 7wo.jpg

And finally, eight weeks old, last Friday:

all da babies 8wo.jpg

Is anyone else looking at Rosey compared to those other Silkie-mix boys and wondering if they're... actually boys? 🤔

Aaaanyway, I'll look through the pictures of them over the past two months and maybe post the cutest ones later. :) Sorry again for disappearing, and I'll try to keep up better from here on out!

Apologies, I'm here and okay. As okay as anyone can be with the current climate of the world, I suppose! It's been... tough after my last post here, but I'm getting through it and I've had plenty to distract me in the meantime. I have plans to memorialize my dear Elly, but haven't gotten around to much of them yet because it involves looking through her pictures and, well, that's still quite hard for me to do. :( Anyway, I have so much to catch up on here, and so much to catch the thread up on! View attachment 2277928

Since my last post, the chicks have grown so, so much! As I predicted from their markings, the blue, green, and red leg band OEGBs are boys, and the SDW is a girl. To my delight, the yellow leg band baby is a girl as well!!

As for the Silkie mixes, while that's supposed to be a sexlinked cross, I'm questioning it at this point. Rosey is definitely a boy (see the pictures I'll post in a moment, here), and Peanut Butter appears to be a girl still, but the other three sort of occupy an area of development between those two that has me wondering if maybe I got more girls than I originally estimated. 🤔 We'll see.

They are all named now. I've been... sort of hesitant to reveal one of those names because it was inspired by a well-loved member here who passed on not all that long ago. It was very unintentional, but this little one reminded me of one of the discussions I'd had with said someone, and it suits her well and seems to be stuck now. I hope that I don't offend by having named a chicken after this someone--I'd been worrying over that for a bit and wasn't sure if I should even post it here. 😬

We've had some losses and some ailments over the past two months, sadly. I very nearly lost my big girl Lydda after I found her with a prolapse and the beginning of fly strike. It was fortunately caught early enough that she's made a full recovery and is back to her full-appetite-wielding self.

My Freema's fallen ill as well, though she seems to be stable and possibly recovering after a lot of TLC. :fl I'm not sure if I could handle losing my sweet Elly and my old gal Freema in the same year, let alone only a few months apart.

At the same time, I've suffered another big loss with the sudden passing of my call drake, Malcolm. He was fine the morning of July 24th, and then that evening, he was gone. Crash was very distraught and led me to discover his remains, completely untouched as if he'd simply laid down and fallen asleep. Another very sudden death from these call ducks and yet further confirmation that I've made the right decision to not add any more of them to the flock. Crash is starting to move on with the company of the chickens around her and is currently living in the chicken yard with them. However, she's back to being a MUCH LOUDER DUCK like before she was paired up with Mal, which is kind of sad. :hmm She'll have more permanent housing soon, once I've rearranged some pens.

And at some point last week, Darwin, my big Dorking boy, started acting unwell, which was unfortunately all the opening that Dante needed to win over dominance in the rooster flock, in the mean time beating Darwin nearly to death. Dar wasn't able to recover despite my intervention, and we lost him, too. :(

The end result of that event is that Dante needs to go. He'd already been knocking on that door with some aggressive behavior towards me, and now he's on the warpath with every rooster near him (even Murphy, who's always been a sort of peace keeper in the big boy flock!), and I can't handle that kind of discord in my flock. I still need to call and see if my usual processor is even open right now (gosh, I probably should have done that by now--where are the days going?), but hopefully soon the flocks will be more peaceful with a few fewer birds in them.

Goodness, anything else? I can't think of any other BIG events that have happened in the meantime. I'll go ahead and put the baby pictures in a new post because, well, it's been like 2 months and there are a lot of them. :p Hold on to your hats!
It is good to see you back!

Sumi happens to be my favorite color variety in hens across all breeds (Silver Duckwing), so she occupies a special place in my heart already just for that. ❤ I'd hoped to get more SDW Old English (or even a related Blue variety to cross in 🤩 ) this year at one of the shows I usually go to, but I don't think I'm going to go to any this year so I've had to postpone that plan for another year. Oh, well.

And Troll, what a stinker! The person who named him had no idea he'd live up to his name fully. :p He's shaping up to be a gorgeous fella like his dad and older brothers, too. 😍 Those guys are show stoppers!

I just noticed that poor Armada is listed as unnamed in the one-week-old pictures, oops! My PFM expired at some point over the past couple months, so I guess it stays as is. 🤣

Not much happening here, as has become the usual these days. 😩 Picture day for the fuzzies is coming up soon, though! 😁

Tough question :gig

The main flock is 42 hens, 2 roosters, and a cockerel (Buzz)
Then there are the kids, 3 pullets and a cockerel
And the babies, 3 pullets and 7 cockerels
And lastly the boys outside of the main flock, 10 roosters
So that makes... 69 chickens total. :eek: I haven't counted them out in a while!

Plus the two remaining Guineas and Crashie duck, that makes a grand total of 72 birds. 😁

That number will be going down fairly soon as I remove some of the roosters, but still. 😅 That's kind of a lot.

Er-hem, so, I'm going to go take pictures of the kids right now because I've let it slip my mind for too long. :oops: I'll be back in a bit!

Tough question :gig

The main flock is 42 hens, 2 roosters, and a cockerel (Buzz)
Then there are the kids, 3 pullets and a cockerel
And the babies, 3 pullets and 7 cockerels
And lastly the boys outside of the main flock, 10 roosters
So that makes... 69 chickens total. :eek: I haven't counted them out in a while!

Plus the two remaining Guineas and Crashie duck, that makes a grand total of 72 birds. 😁

That number will be going down fairly soon as I remove some of the roosters, but still. 😅 That's kind of a lot.

Er-hem, so, I'm going to go take pictures of the kids right now because I've let it slip my mind for too long. :oops: I'll be back in a bit!
Could be more or less using Chicken Math!

Back
Top Bottom