Pipd's Peeps!

Hello! Thought I would update on a few things, here!

First is that after getting Rooska back out to the flock and good to go, I now have Merlin in for crop-not-emptying issues. Her crop got so BIG that I'm afraid it's caused her to become pendulous, so I'm working on a crop bra for her with the hopes that it's not a permanent issue. :( But on the plus side, with treatment and some prototype crop bras, her crop has reduced significantly in size! :D

Next is that I have pictures of the babies! :love First up, the 6 month olds, starting with Buzz. His behavior lately has been pretty disheartening, honestly. I like his appearance and his weirdness with his odd number of toes, but if he can't calm down and stop threatening to attack me (and actually going through with that threat, though so far thankfully only when a fence has been between us), then he won't stay. :(

Buzz.jpg

Dandy, my white cottonball fluff ❤

Dandelion.jpg

Gus-Gus, my man!! 💕 😍 💕 This guy is the best, tell you what! He gets a bit excited sometimes, but he's never attacked me, never bitten, and he lets me rub his wattles and stroke his feathers without seeming threatened by me. AND, he's good with the pullets, too! I see him chirp to offer them goodies all the time, and he must not fake it often if at all because the pullets all RACE over when they hear him! Love this little guy! ❤

Gus.jpg

Myrtle, my chicken sphere :gigShe's so round and fluffy, but she takes herself so seriously!

Myrtle.jpg

Seriously, look at this adorable booty! Who could resist?! 😍

Myrtle junk in trunk.jpg

And finally Zinnia, my quiet girl. Always the first to hop into my lap when I sit with them :love

Zinnia.jpg

Now the 4 month olds, starting with the Silkie mixes:

The triplets, Amaretto:

Amaretto.jpg

Armada:

Armada.jpg

And Glutty:

Gluttony.jpg

Peanut Butter, my star 🤩

Peanut Butter.jpg

More PB because she is very round as well :love

PB round.jpg

Handsome man Rosey:

Rosey.jpg

And here are the Old English:

Tough guy squad leader, the toughest and scariest bird on the property, obviously, Feldon:

Feldon.jpg

Havok, the sweetie 😍

Havok cutie.jpg

Tough guy squad knucklehead henchman number one, the one who likes to think he's the leader, Louis:

Louis.jpg

Sumi, the wild child:

Sumi.jpg

Tough guy squad knucklehead henchman number two, the one who's always getting lost from his squad because he doesn't pay attention, Troll:

Troll.jpg

Obviously, the boys of the tough guy squad are molting their tails out right now. 🤣 But don't tell them because they are very big and impressive roosters, you know.

Last thing I wanted to share was that poor Mona and Fifi have gone into their first molts, the darlings. ❤ Here is Fifi, just starting and not looking too bad just yet...

1603030729909.png

Mona, on the other hand... 😬

1603030830193.png

Hello! Thought I would update on a few things, here!

First is that after getting Rooska back out to the flock and good to go, I now have Merlin in for crop-not-emptying issues. Her crop got so BIG that I'm afraid it's caused her to become pendulous, so I'm working on a crop bra for her with the hopes that it's not a permanent issue. :( But on the plus side, with treatment and some prototype crop bras, her crop has reduced significantly in size! :D

Next is that I have pictures of the babies! :love First up, the 6 month olds, starting with Buzz. His behavior lately has been pretty disheartening, honestly. I like his appearance and his weirdness with his odd number of toes, but if he can't calm down and stop threatening to attack me (and actually going through with that threat, though so far thankfully only when a fence has been between us), then he won't stay. :(

View attachment 2377509

Dandy, my white cottonball fluff ❤

View attachment 2377510

Gus-Gus, my man!! 💕 😍 💕 This guy is the best, tell you what! He gets a bit excited sometimes, but he's never attacked me, never bitten, and he lets me rub his wattles and stroke his feathers without seeming threatened by me. AND, he's good with the pullets, too! I see him chirp to offer them goodies all the time, and he must not fake it often if at all because the pullets all RACE over when they hear him! Love this little guy! ❤

View attachment 2377511

Myrtle, my chicken sphere :gigShe's so round and fluffy, but she takes herself so seriously!

View attachment 2377513

Seriously, look at this adorable booty! Who could resist?! 😍

View attachment 2377512

And finally Zinnia, my quiet girl. Always the first to hop into my lap when I sit with them :love

View attachment 2377514

Now the 4 month olds, starting with the Silkie mixes:

The triplets, Amaretto:

View attachment 2377496

Armada:

View attachment 2377497

And Glutty:

View attachment 2377499

Peanut Butter, my star 🤩

View attachment 2377505

More PB because she is very round as well :love

View attachment 2377504

Handsome man Rosey:

View attachment 2377506

And here are the Old English:

Tough guy squad leader, the toughest and scariest bird on the property, obviously, Feldon:

View attachment 2377498

Havok, the sweetie 😍

View attachment 2377500

Tough guy squad knucklehead henchman number one, the one who likes to think he's the leader, Louis:

View attachment 2377503

Sumi, the wild child:

View attachment 2377507

Tough guy squad knucklehead henchman number two, the one who's always getting lost from his squad because he doesn't pay attention, Troll:

View attachment 2377508

Obviously, the boys of the tough guy squad are molting their tails out right now. 🤣 But don't tell them because they are very big and impressive roosters, you know.

Last thing I wanted to share was that poor Mona and Fifi have gone into their first molts, the darlings. ❤ Here is Fifi, just starting and not looking too bad just yet...

View attachment 2377583

Mona, on the other hand... 😬

View attachment 2377585
They are looking so grown up!

Nice molting photo too.

I hope the crop issue is resolved completely soon

Checking in again! 🤣 I came down with the flu last week and didn't want to do much of anything, so I haven't been terribly active here yet again, oops! Anyway, I thought I would update real quick, here.

Merlin's crop is back to normal now, and I didn't even get a final crop bra design finished for her before it happened! She was just fine all of the sudden the other morning :idunno I kept her in for a couple more days to confirm that crop was emptying properly, and she'll go back out today assuming it's not too chilly. Hopefully we won't see that crop fill up to that extent again! :fl

Other than that, not much is going on, so here are some scenes of horror this morning from the chicken yard. Molting season has definitely hit a few of my birds hard!

This used to be my Campine, Ihi 😬

1603894214903.png

Donna wouldn't let me approach her (hence the terrible picture :oops: )

1603894315154.png

Dymi also didn't want her picture taken and immediately huddled under a bush after this 🤣

1603894412867.png

Poor Fifi is a hot mess at this point 😳 These EEs are having the worst time molting this year! Fifi's still keeping that one tail feather held high, though :p

1603894528798.png

There is a light (and some feathers) at the end of the tunnel for them all, though; here's Mona as of today, looking significantly less bare! (She's just not a people chicken, so she never wants me to take her picture :rolleyes: )

1603894708887.png

Merlin's back outside now and the best part is that even after her roughly 2-week-long isolation from the flock, everyone seems to remember her and no one wanted to fight with her! :celebrate Here she is glaring at me because I interrupted her first dirt bath in 2 weeks to grab a picture of her. 🤣 Sorry, Merl!

1603908606661.png

Hope everyone had a safe, fun, and Happy Halloween yesterday!!
halloween witch.gif

I stayed in and spent most of the day watching Halloween / season-appropriate movies and shows virtually with some friends. 🥰 Oh, and ate candy. So... so much candy... 😬

The girls didn't trick or treat, either, of course. They got their Halloween treat about a week ago, after my niece and nephew carved their pumpkins for the holiday. My sister took pictures of the jack-o-lanterns, and then to the hens they went before they could rot! So I guess they've had an extended Halloween party while working away at these pumpkins. 🤣

The only other relevant thing I can add here is that our girl Peanut Butter decided on her own last night that she wanted to perch on the big kid perches! 💕 Here she is next to Fifi at roost time (with Mona hiding under Fifi in the background) :

1604253445307.png

Hope everyone had a safe, fun, and Happy Halloween yesterday!! View attachment 2395363

I stayed in and spent most of the day watching Halloween / season-appropriate movies and shows virtually with some friends. 🥰 Oh, and ate candy. So... so much candy... 😬

The girls didn't trick or treat, either, of course. They got their Halloween treat about a week ago, after my niece and nephew carved their pumpkins for the holiday. My sister took pictures of the jack-o-lanterns, and then to the hens they went before they could rot! So I guess they've had an extended Halloween party while working away at these pumpkins. 🤣

The only other relevant thing I can add here is that our girl Peanut Butter decided on her own last night that she wanted to perch on the big kid perches! 💕 Here she is next to Fifi at roost time (with Mona hiding under Fifi in the background) :

View attachment 2395390
It is nice to see them grow up!

It's one of my favorite parts of chicken keeping, seeing them grow and develop and figure these things out. :love

...Which is why I've only ever had one year since the chickens became mine that I didn't get chicks at some point. :gig

Back
Top Bottom