Pipd's Peeps!

Do you ever get birds at the poultry show or is it just to look at birds?
What is the image limit? I'm amazed that we can load so many pics here.
Your flock looks great! Sorry to hear that Dandy cant keep that prolapse under control. Are her eggs too big?

Do you ever get birds at the poultry show or is it just to look at birds?
What is the image limit? I'm amazed that we can load so many pics here.
Your flock looks great! Sorry to hear that Dandy cant keep that prolapse under control. Are her eggs too big?

I do occasionally bring birds home. I was prepared to bring birds home this time, but I didn't find anything I absolutely needed and I wanted to have my quarantine space open for the Ohio Nationals next month in case the breeds I'm looking for are there.

Last time I went to a show and tried to upload all the pictures at once, I believe the limit was 50 images, which is about how many I took at the show on Saturday. 🤣

As for Dandy's eggs, they're actually smaller than the other two silkied Cochin hens her age, and she's the largest of the three, so I don't think they're too big for her. I have no idea what else I can do for her at this point other than just keeping up what I'm doing. On the plus side, after I clean her up and use the hemmorrhoid wipes on her, she's pulling it back inside on her own most of the time now, so maybe that's some improvement? I feel like it wasn't out as far when I cleaned her up before bed tonight at least. :fl

Show pictures! They are organized by breed and I'll post them thumbnail size since there are so many of them, so click for full view. 😊

Ameraucana bantams; the first one is a Light Brown, a variety I was very excited to see! That was the best picture I got of her, though, because she kept moving. Second is a Silver, probably my favorite variety of Ameraucana. :love

Ameraucana bantam, light brown.jpg Ameraucana bantam, Silver.jpg

American Game bantams, first a Black and second a Golden Duckwing:

American Game, black.jpg American Game, golden duckwing.jpg

Blue Andalusians 😍 I love that lacing!!

Andalusian, blue crouched.jpg Andalusian, blue.jpg

Cochin bantams! First is a frizzled Black who was dust bathing in her bedding. I thought she was facing the opposite direction when I first approached her cage! 🤣 Second is a Brown Red hen and her egg, with some Birchen boys in the background 😍

Cochin bantam, black frizzle dust bath.jpg Cochin bantam, brown red.jpg

Cornish bantams. First is a Blue Laced Red who placed third for variety, but I thought she was the prettiest of the three :love Next is a Dark hen who looked like a fat pigeon 🤣 And last was a White Laced Red with just the most breathtaking lacing 😍

Cornish bantam, blue laced red.jpg Cornish bantam, dark.jpg Cornish bantam, white laced red.jpg

The only d'Anver I took a picture of was this precious Blue Quail hen :love

d'anver, blue quail.jpg

There were also Dorkings!! :wee This was the best looking Silver Gray hen in my opinion:

Dorking, silver gray.jpg

For d'Uccles, there was this one fabulous Mille Fleur cockerel who I just had to take a picture of, and a very curious Porcelain pullet who posed for a portrait. :love

d'uccle, mille fleur.jpg d'uccle, porcelain.jpg

I just took a picture of this Salmon Faverolles rooster's beard because it was glorious 😍

Faverolles, salmon beard.jpg

This is a Gray Japanese bantam hen who made a cute little nest. :love

Japanese, gray.jpg

For Marans, I took a picture of this Blue Copper hen and the egg she laid in show because it was so pretty! 😍

Marans, blue copper.jpg Marans, blue copper egg.jpg

Modern Game bantams. My weakness. 😍 First are two Birchen, then a completely fabulous Black male, then two Blue Silvers, and finally a Splash hen :love

Modern Game bantam, birchen peekaboo.jpg Modern Game bantam, birchen.jpg Modern Game bantam, black.jpg Modern Game bantam, blue silver peekaboo.jpg Modern Game bantam, Blue Silver.jpg Modern Game bantam, splash.jpg

Old English Game bantams, my other weakness 🤣 We have a Blue Golden Duckwing male, a Crele female, a Red Pyle female, and a Spangled female. The Spangled had more chestnut to her, but the lighting wasn't great in her pen.

OEGB, Blue Golden Duckwing.jpg OEGB, crele.jpg OEGB, red pyle.jpg OEGB, spangled.jpg

This Silver Phoenix won best of breed in the Junior show if I remember correctly. His tail was amazing! 😍

Phoenix, silver tail.jpg Phoenix, silver.jpg

Columbian Plymouth Rock bantam. I want these so bad 😍 I took a bunch of pictures of them, but this is the only one that turned out halfway decent.

Plymouth Rock bantam, columbian.jpg

For Polish, we have a fabulous White Crowned Black male, and a pretty White Crowned Khaki female

Polish bantam, white crested black.jpg Polish bantam, white crested khaki.jpg

I tried to capture the color on the Rhode Island Red bantams, but this was the best I could do. She is red, just a very deep, dark mahogany red.

Rhode Island Red bantam.jpg

Rosecomb Bantams are another favorite of mine :love These are both black, a female and a male:

Rosecomb, black hen.jpg Rosecomb, black.jpg

Lastly, Sumatra bantams. The hen won best of breed, I believe that was the open show, but she wouldn't look at me so I went next door to second place for a better picture 🤣

Sumatra bantam, black bb bv pullet.jpg Sumatra bantam, black.jpg

For ducks, here is a Crested White with amazing hair, a Snowy Call drake just because he was pretty, a Penciled Runner (same bird in both pictures!), and a Black Runner:

Duck, crested white.jpg Duck, snowy call.jpg Duck, penciled runner sitting.jpg Duck, penciled runner standing.jpg Duck, black runner.jpg

And for turkeys, they were remarkably difficult to get good pictures of, but here are two pictures of the same Blue Slate tom, a Bronze tom with gorgeous iridescence, a Narragansett tom, and a Royal Palm tom:

Turkey, Blue Slate side.jpg Turkey, Blue Slate.jpg Turkey, bronze iridescence.jpg Turkey, narragansett.jpg Turkey, royal palm.jpg

We didn't spend much time in the other fowl barn and I kinda regret that now, but at the time I was looking for the sales area to see what was available before it was bought up. Oh, well. It was lots of fun anyway, and I always love looking at all these pretty birds! 😁

Wow. Such beauties. The one with the long tail feathers reminds me of the guiness world record fingernails. 🤣 But his tail is beautiful- fingernails 🤢
The penciled runner is gorgeous! I don't think I've seen that pattern look so detailed.
That columbian bantam is cool. I think I need a bantam flock now. 😆
The white crested polish khaki looks lavender in color - but I don't know anything about the color varieties (or names) past the normal colors. It makes me want one or many of them though. Lol. I just looked up khaki polish, amazing color.
The only thing that keeps me from getting more birds is space. Ugh....

Last edited:
Wow. Such beauties. The one with the long tail feathers reminds me of the guiness world record fingernails. 🤣 But his tail is beautiful- fingernails 🤢

Ew, haha 🤣 I do see what you mean, though!

The penciled runner is gorgeous! I don't think I've seen that pattern look so detailed.

She was definitely more intricately patterned than any of the others there. I took her picture for that reason, and because she was siting at first and then stood, and I love the contrast between sitting and standing Runners.

That columbian bantam is cool. I think I need a bantam flock now. 😆

They are just so pretty in their simplicity. I wish I had captured one standing properly. Their shape is just so pleasing, so balanced, like they were crafted from clay by an artisan 😍

Also yesss, come to the bantam side! 🤣

The white crested polish khaki looks lavender in color - but I don't know anything about the color varieties (or names) past the normal colors. It makes me want one or many of them though. Lol. I just looked up khaki polish, amazing color.

I wonder about their genetics every time I see them, honestly. In person, they're more brownish than grayish like that picture made her look, so I don't think they are genetically Lavender, but they're definitely much darker than the Khakis I get out of my Fawn Silver Duckwing OEGBs. The Khakis I've gotten have all essentially been white with just a hint of brownishness to their color. I don't know if there are other genes at play to make the Khaki Polish seem darker, or if there are other genes at play in the FSDWs that make them lighter.

They are gorgeous, though! 😍 I can't stand the size of Polish crests or I'd genuinely be tempted by them.

The only thing that keeps me from getting more birds is space. Ugh....

You can say that again! 😩

Oh, and I meant to say so sooner, but I like your new profile picture! 😊

Last edited:
Ha. I have 2 polish - a white crested black pullet and I believe a mix white crested with silver laced cockerel. He's pretty but a turd. Lol The 2 were hatched by my muscovy. 😁
They came from a friend who has a mixed flock and one of her white crested turned out to be a rooster. So, she gave me a handful of eggs. I only had 2 that made it. But, I didn't have room for the rest, so I guess it all worked out.

Oh, that's so interesting! I'll be the size difference between mother and children was astonishing! Did your Muscovy ever try to take them swimming? Are they confused about who to hang out with now that they've grown up? I've never owned Polish, but they definitely seem the type to be confused about something at all times. :p

Glad your numbers ended up working out! I had a sort of similar thing happen this year where I kinda went nuts with the hatching eggs and chicks for the amount of space I had available, but my numbers leaned heavily toward males that I couldn't keep all together and had to sell off, so I guess it balanced out one way or another. 🤣

Oh, that's so interesting! I'll be the size difference between mother and children was astonishing! Did your Muscovy ever try to take them swimming? Are they confused about who to hang out with now that they've grown up? I've never owned Polish, but they definitely seem the type to be confused about something at all times. :p

Glad your numbers ended up working out! I had a sort of similar thing happen this year where I kinda went nuts with the hatching eggs and chicks for the amount of space I had available, but my numbers leaned heavily toward males that I couldn't keep all together and had to sell off, so I guess it balanced out one way or another. 🤣
I had to take them away from her and brood them since they were so tiny. She was very pleased with herself, but she was treating them like ducklings and wouldn't let them under her when they were screaming. I lost a barred rock mix and I think it's because she wasn't letting it warm up under her. So I observed these 2 and they were yelling at her. She actually only preferred one over the other as well. It was interesting to see. She couldn't understand - I think she would have been a good duck mom, just not the best chick mom.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm glad you were able to save them at least! Sorry about your Barred Rock mix, though :hmm It does make a lot of sense what you were seeing with her, as it seems like duckling rely on heat a lot less than chicks do, at least in my very limited experience with ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom