Pipd's Peeps!

Dandelion's prolapse has stayed in since I reinserted it early this morning, just under 12 hours ago at the moment. :fl She has been eating, drinking, and pooping normally all day. I didn't feel an egg in her this morning, so hopefully that means she'll have the time to heal and keep everything where it belongs when the next egg comes along. We'll see how she looks in the morning, anyway. :fl :fl :fl

Show pictures! They are organized by breed and I'll post them thumbnail size since there are so many of them, so click for full view. 😊

Ameraucana bantams; the first one is a Light Brown, a variety I was very excited to see! That was the best picture I got of her, though, because she kept moving. Second is a Silver, probably my favorite variety of Ameraucana. :love

View attachment 2870470View attachment 2870472

American Game bantams, first a Black and second a Golden Duckwing:

View attachment 2870473View attachment 2870474

Blue Andalusians 😍 I love that lacing!!

View attachment 2870475View attachment 2870476

Cochin bantams! First is a frizzled Black who was dust bathing in her bedding. I thought she was facing the opposite direction when I first approached her cage! 🤣 Second is a Brown Red hen and her egg, with some Birchen boys in the background 😍

View attachment 2870477View attachment 2870478

Cornish bantams. First is a Blue Laced Red who placed third for variety, but I thought she was the prettiest of the three :love Next is a Dark hen who looked like a fat pigeon 🤣 And last was a White Laced Red with just the most breathtaking lacing 😍

View attachment 2870479View attachment 2870480View attachment 2870481

The only d'Anver I took a picture of was this precious Blue Quail hen :love

View attachment 2870482

There were also Dorkings!! :wee This was the best looking Silver Gray hen in my opinion:

View attachment 2870483

For d'Uccles, there was this one fabulous Mille Fleur cockerel who I just had to take a picture of, and a very curious Porcelain pullet who posed for a portrait. :love

View attachment 2870484View attachment 2870485

I just took a picture of this Salmon Faverolles rooster's beard because it was glorious 😍

View attachment 2870492

This is a Gray Japanese bantam hen who made a cute little nest. :love

View attachment 2870493

For Marans, I took a picture of this Blue Copper hen and the egg she laid in show because it was so pretty! 😍

View attachment 2870495View attachment 2870494

Modern Game bantams. My weakness. 😍 First are two Birchen, then a completely fabulous Black male, then two Blue Silvers, and finally a Splash hen :love

View attachment 2870496View attachment 2870497View attachment 2870499View attachment 2870500View attachment 2870501View attachment 2870502

Old English Game bantams, my other weakness 🤣 We have a Blue Golden Duckwing male, a Crele female, a Red Pyle female, and a Spangled female. The Spangled had more chestnut to her, but the lighting wasn't great in her pen.

View attachment 2870503View attachment 2870504View attachment 2870505View attachment 2870506

This Silver Phoenix won best of breed in the Junior show if I remember correctly. His tail was amazing! 😍

View attachment 2870507View attachment 2870508

Columbian Plymouth Rock bantam. I want these so bad 😍 I took a bunch of pictures of them, but this is the only one that turned out halfway decent.

View attachment 2870509

For Polish, we have a fabulous White Crowned Black male, and a pretty White Crowned Khaki female

View attachment 2870510View attachment 2870511

I tried to capture the color on the Rhode Island Red bantams, but this was the best I could do. She is red, just a very deep, dark mahogany red.

View attachment 2870512

Rosecomb Bantams are another favorite of mine :love These are both black, a female and a male:

View attachment 2870513View attachment 2870514

Lastly, Sumatra bantams. The hen won best of breed, I believe that was the open show, but she wouldn't look at me so I went next door to second place for a better picture 🤣

View attachment 2870515View attachment 2870516

For ducks, here is a Crested White with amazing hair, a Snowy Call drake just because he was pretty, a Penciled Runner (same bird in both pictures!), and a Black Runner:

View attachment 2870487View attachment 2870491View attachment 2870488View attachment 2870490View attachment 2870486

And for turkeys, they were remarkably difficult to get good pictures of, but here are two pictures of the same Blue Slate tom, a Bronze tom with gorgeous iridescence, a Narragansett tom, and a Royal Palm tom:

View attachment 2870517View attachment 2870518View attachment 2870519View attachment 2870520View attachment 2870521

We didn't spend much time in the other fowl barn and I kinda regret that now, but at the time I was looking for the sales area to see what was available before it was bought up. Oh, well. It was lots of fun anyway, and I always love looking at all these pretty birds! 😁
No way! These were taken at the Central Indiana show this past weekend correct? Those are our Americans :loveI wasn’t able to go, but the family did.

No way! These were taken at the Central Indiana show this past weekend correct? Those are our Americans :loveI wasn’t able to go, but the family did.

It was! Cool!! Did you have any Moderns in there, too? I didn't actually pay attention to any of the signs except for when it was a breed or variety I didn't recognize 🤣

Also, Dandelion's prolapse has not returned and we're well past the 24 hour mark now!! :celebrate

It was! Cool!! Did you have any Moderns in there, too? I didn't actually pay attention to any of the signs except for when it was a breed or variety I didn't recognize 🤣

Also, Dandelion's prolapse has not returned and we're well past the 24 hour mark now!! :celebrate
That’s so cool!! And I did send two lemon blue moderns but they were over in the junior show with my brother for him to use during showmanship!

Ooh, I may have seen them, too, then! I went through all of the barns except the other fowl in the open show, and I only missed like 2 aisles where they were judging or doing showmanship. 😁

I love Lemon Blues! 😍 I was surprised that I didn't have any pictures of them when I was looking through the ones I took at the show, but my phone had been acting up from overuse by the time I was in the junior barn so I must have just been distracted by that 🤣

Phew, yesterday turned interesting pretty quick! First off, I had another prolapse, another silkied Cochin, Myrtle. This time, though, it was an extra wide egg that got stuck and was hanging outside of her, so that was a bit intense to find and fix! :th I gave her a warm bath to relax the muscles, then carefully encouraged the tissue around the egg to pull back until it finally popped free into the water. Her prolapse resolved itself afterward, and hopefully remains resolved. I kept her inside overnight just in case, but everything looks fine this morning.

Dandy is as of this morning about 48 hours prolapse-free! :celebrate I think that I'm going to go ahead and take her and Myrtle back outside together and just keep an eye on her from here on. I want her integrated back into her flock as soon as possible before wintertime. I'm hoping she hasn't been away for too long at this point and integration goes smoothly. :fl

EDIT: Dandy and Myrtle are back outside. I saw some posturing from Myrtle and Zinnia, the other hen in that group, but no actual outright aggression, so I think Dandy will be okay. Gus danced for her, so he's happy to see her at least. She's hanging out inside on the perch despite no outward aggression from the others, so I'll just have to keep an ear out today in case they do decide to be aggressive to her. The food and water is in there with her, so she shouldn't be kept away from either.​

The other exciting bit is this...

1634817259007.png

He showed up about a week ago, but yesterday finally approached me. He's very sweet and seems pretty young. He acts like he hasn't been being fed and is definitely not used to going inside a house if my attempts to bring him inside to a safe space are any indication, plus our neighbors are all pretty far away from us. We unfortunately get a lot of dumped cats here because people see the barns and coops and think that cats would be welcomed as mousers, though the majority of the time they end up feral and terrorize my chickens so I have to live trap them and take them to a shelter. He's skittish, but fairly tame once he warms up to you, so I think he was one such dumped cat. Closest vet appointment I could get was a couple weeks from now, so it'll be until then that we find out whether he's microchipped so I can reunite him with his owners if he does have any.

But if he doesn't... I'm tempted to adopt him, myself. I've cried about this a lot the past couple days, but especially yesterday. I don't know if this is too soon for me after Keiko, honestly. I don't want to replace her, and I know he wouldn't be a replacement, but I also don't want to feel like I'm replacing her, if that makes sense, and getting a new cat so soon kind of feels like that to me. Maybe it is too soon and I'm only tempted to adopt him because of that missing cat-shaped hole in my heart. I'm very torn about it all.

Anyway, I've been calling him Casper in the mean time. He's mostly white and fluffy, has had a knack for vanishing like a ghost, and it is October after all, so it seemed fitting. Barring him actually having an owner or disappearing before I can acclimate him to coming inside, it's possible that he may become a regular cast member here on the thread.

Last edited:
It figures that you get one chicken on the mend and another decides to lay a huge egg to cause a prolapse. 😆
That is one gorgeous cat. It's not a replacement, just filling the hole in your heart. We lost a dog a few years back. She was young and had cancer. We were so heartbroken. We ended up getting a new puppy. We probably reacted too soon. But, this pup was born on my husband's bday. So, we snatched her up. She's not a replacement, but she helped to mend that broken heart. She's a great dog and came to us at the right time.
We also live in a farm area where people are always dropping off their cats. Mostly they end up at my in-laws because of the barn. I have a couple of neighbor cats that come down to mouse from 1/4 mile down the road. 😄 They always go back home though as we only see them on the camera.
I also had one kitten show up this summer, but it wouldn't let me catch it and the mosquitoes were so bad - I gave up. I was like good luck little buddy. 🤣

It figures that you get one chicken on the mend and another decides to lay a huge egg to cause a prolapse. 😆

For real, they're trying to give me a heart attack or something! :th I did end up bringing Myrtle back inside for observation because she had a tiny prolapse when I checked on the two of them again early afternoon. It went back in on its own quickly with just a couple swipes of a hemorrhoid wipe, so at least that's easier than what Dandy went through. Dandelion, herself, is still looking good, though, and seems to have integrated back into the group with no issue! 😊

That is one gorgeous cat. It's not a replacement, just filling the hole in your heart. We lost a dog a few years back. She was young and had cancer. We were so heartbroken. We ended up getting a new puppy. We probably reacted too soon. But, this pup was born on my husband's bday. So, we snatched her up. She's not a replacement, but she helped to mend that broken heart. She's a great dog and came to us at the right time.

Aww, that's so sweet! :love I've been trying to think of Casper in that way as well, just a little mending for a broken heart rather than a replacement for my beloved Keiko. I think I just feel guilty because it's happened so soon after I lost her, but it couldn't be predicted that he'd show up when he did. He's a very cuddly cat and it does wonders on the heart when he comes over and curls up against my side or sprawls across my legs. ❤️

I did find out that the local shelter will check for microchips free of charge, so we should know by tomorrow afternoon if Casper belongs to someone else. I've exhausted all the lost pet postings I could find for the area and didn't see anyone looking for a cat like him, so a microchip is the last thing holding me back from allowing myself to really get attached.

We also live in a farm area where people are always dropping off their cats. Mostly they end up at my in-laws because of the barn. I have a couple of neighbor cats that come down to mouse from 1/4 mile down the road. 😄 They always go back home though as we only see them on the camera.
I also had one kitten show up this summer, but it wouldn't let me catch it and the mosquitoes were so bad - I gave up. I was like good luck little buddy.

Aw, yeah, I wish people wouldn't just dump them like that. :hmm At least it sounds like they do well there! I try to coax them over any time I see a cat here, but the vast majority of the time they're feral and flee when they see me. If they don't show too much interest in my birds, I leave them be; there's always a mouse population around the coop that could use a bit of taming down. 😩 I think a lot of them go across the road to the horse farm, too. I imagine they get their fair share of mice in the horse feed and grains as well.

Back
Top Bottom