Pipd's Peeps!

Not to be forgotten, here are the older two kiddos, 8 weeks old this weekend! 😊 They are almost exclusively outside now. I was a bit concerned about overnight temps with the naked neck bantam being so, well, naked, but it's supposed to be in the 60's and 70's overnight at least for a while, so they should be able to move out full time instead of sleeping in the room with the hospital pens overnight and spending just the day outside.

Anyway, here's our silkied Cochin bantam lady. I've still got to decide on a name for her!

silkied cochin.jpg
silkied cochin front view.jpg
silkied cochin close up attempt.jpg

And the naked neck bantam, who I've been mulling over a few names for as well, but nothing has stuck 100% yet.

nn bantam.jpg
nn bantam close up.jpg
nn bantam curious.jpg

Those are great pics and a nice collage!

Those other two are so cute! It really makes me want chicks. 😄

I hope the heat wave doesn't affect Maizie too much. She's doing very well.

We were taking an evening walk with our dogs - just walking around the property due to the temp. We walk my inlaws farm. Anyway, we get around the back of their buildings and I hear a slight growl. I thought it was one of their dogs, but I couldn't figure out where it was and why it was growling at us. Then I heard it again. I saw a little dog under the farm semi. While standing there, another popped out.
I was able to call them over to me while my husband held on to our dogs. They were very sweet, but covered in burrs and ticks. The fluffy one had one right on her eye lid.
I called animal control and while waiting, we realized the girl is pregnant. 🙁 I removed 2 huge ticks from her and I'm sure they both had more. I felt one on the boy, but he was more timid, so didn't bother it. I'm sure they will be well taken care of by the rescue.
It makes me sad that so many dogs (and cats) are loose or dropped off. The shelters are full. I know a lot of this has to do with the economy.
20220612_181250.jpg

Here's all of them individually! I took these yesterday, but forgot to post them :oops: In the interest of not bogging down the page, I made a collage of all of them that you can click on to look closer at! 😊 The 'G' chicks are Gus's babies, and Black Baby 3 is the one I wasn't sure if it was Blue or Black. I do think that little one is Black now, just by comparison to the other chicks, but we'll know for sure when she starts to feather in. Oh, and I just used the same picture of the mixed color baby because by the time I was through the other 15 I was worn out from wrangling them and trying to get them to pose. 🤣

View attachment 3145472
They are so cute :love :love

Phew, sorry I haven't checked in for a few days! We had a 34-hour-long power outage after a strong storm on Monday night, and it's been a bit crazy over here, but the dust is settling finally. That was the longest power outage I've ever had with heat-dependent chicks in the brooder still. The babies are fine, though--thankfully, our gas stove still works without electricity so I was able to warm up water bottles to keep them cozy. The ~96° F temp outside without air conditioning wasn't exactly fun for me, however! :th

Those are great pics and a nice collage!

Those other two are so cute! It really makes me want chicks. 😄

I hope the heat wave doesn't affect Maizie too much. She's doing very well.

We were taking an evening walk with our dogs - just walking around the property due to the temp. We walk my inlaws farm. Anyway, we get around the back of their buildings and I hear a slight growl. I thought it was one of their dogs, but I couldn't figure out where it was and why it was growling at us. Then I heard it again. I saw a little dog under the farm semi. While standing there, another popped out.
I was able to call them over to me while my husband held on to our dogs. They were very sweet, but covered in burrs and ticks. The fluffy one had one right on her eye lid.
I called animal control and while waiting, we realized the girl is pregnant. 🙁 I removed 2 huge ticks from her and I'm sure they both had more. I felt one on the boy, but he was more timid, so didn't bother it. I'm sure they will be well taken care of by the rescue.
It makes me sad that so many dogs (and cats) are loose or dropped off. The shelters are full. I know a lot of this has to do with the economy.
View attachment 3146210

That is heartbreaking. Glad you were able to get them to a rescue! I don't know why, if it was so simple for you to find a rescue for them, that whoever dumped them couldn't just do the same. :mad:

I hope Maizie is still doing good! It's been a hot couple days!!

They are super pretty, and funny the contrast of nudie and superfluffy

What are your name ideas?

I would name the naked neck bantam Noodle or something like that, hihi

Haha, that is a funny contrast, isn't it? 🤭

At the moment, I'm thinking Trixie for the Cochin girl, and maybe Daphne for the naked neck. Not 100% sold on Daphne yet, though. She looks like she's wearing a fashionable neck scarf with her little tuft of feathers on her naked neck, so I'm working from that picture when looking at names for her. 🤣 Noodle is a really cute name for a naked neck, though!

A quick check in with the little ones because they are roughly one week old today! I did collages again, but in groups so that the pictures wouldn't shrink down as much.

Still going back and forth on whether Black Baby 3 is Black or Blue... But her little wing feathers do look quite dark to me. Also, interestingly enough, the mixed color baby appears to be feathering in silkied so far, which I wasn't expecting. 🤔 That little one sure is a mystery!

Black babies collage.jpg
Blue babies collage.jpg
Chocolate and mixed color babies collage.jpg

Now, I'm beat and heading to bed. :th Good night, all!

I thought something might have been going on as to why you were absent. I'm glad the chicks are doing well.

Maizie is doing OK, but she does not like the heat.

As for the strays, I'm just glad I got to them before the heat wave. I don't understand people either.

Checking in with the babies again! I took these pictures on Wednesday, so when they were about 2 weeks old. Thursday's been their picture day so far, but I knew Thursday was going to be packed, so I took them a day early. I then promptly got busy again and hadn't had the chance to crop and post them until today! 😅

black babies collage.jpg
blue babies collage.jpg
chocolate and mixed color babies collage.jpg

One thing worth noting... We lost the Chocolate Cuckoo baby Wednesday night. :( He was not doing good all day Wednesday, so I was unable to take a good picture of him like the others, but I grabbed a shot of his wings. He was so weak at this point that he just laid in my hand.

Chocolate Cuckoo baby wings.jpg

As for what happened, I'm not 100% sure. I think something was wrong with that little one internally, honestly. He was an assisted hatch, had always been just a little bit off, and I'd noticed not long after he dried off that his left eye was kind of squinty, like the opening hadn't developed all the way. His navel also had a hard little knob on it that never went away and gathered droppings, so an infection of that was possible as well. I had just given them dirt at the beginning of the week, so I treated with Corid for coccidiosis in case that was an issue, since that was the only thing I could treat for, but by the time I was dipping his beak in the water to get him to drink, things had stopped passing through his crop, so it was moot. I hardly ever lose brooder-aged babies, so it's always tough for me, but there really was nothing I could do for him.

I do think he was a cockerel, based on the large head spot he had and the wide white bars in his little wings. This isn't really much of a consolation, as I did want to see what he looked like as he grew, but at least it's one fewer cockerel that I would have to rehome later on. :hmm

Anyway, the other babies will finish out the coccidiosis treatment, but they're all absolutely thriving and doing great! They stopped using their heater entirely this week, sleeping in the corner of the brooder instead. They're rapidly outgrowing their brooder at this point (since a certain feline makes my larger brooder setup unsafe for them). If the weather cooperates, I'll be trying to take them outside more often this next week. Since they are on Corid now, it might be the opportune time to take them outside anyway, heading off any further issues with coccidia. I'll take pictures when I take them out, of course! I have nothing going on this weekend, so plenty of time to do that much at least until Monday. 😊

Back
Top Bottom