Pipd's Peeps!

So not sure what Spitzhauben are based on but when crossed on my Ameraucana I get very dark legs at hatch. The normal Ameraucana that aren't black always turn slate.

Lol, I was doing the dubble g in legs this morning too.

Anyway pictures of those two cool down colored chicks. They both have fuzzy legs down to the foot but not on any of the toes.

This might end up blue silver partial laced. I think it's out of the silver laced but might be out of the blue cochin hen.
1000005553.jpg

1000005550.jpg

I think gold blue on this one and partial laced. Pretty sure it's out of the gold laced cochin hen.
1000005577.jpg

1000005575.jpg

So not sure what Spitzhauben are based on but when crossed on my Ameraucana I get very dark legs at hatch. The normal Ameraucana that aren't black always turn slate.

Spitz are ER based I believe, although I guess eb can sneak in sometimes with spangled patterns and the transverse-pencilled patterns like on Campines. ER gives the males in these colors proper tail patterning, while eb if I remember right does better with the females' pattern or something like that? Don't quote me on that part! 😅

Lol, I was doing the dubble g in legs this morning too.

A side-effect of the holiday, I guess 🤭

Anyway pictures of those two cool down colored chicks. They both have fuzzy legs down to the foot but not on any of the toes.

This might end up blue silver partial laced. I think it's out of the silver laced but might be out of the blue cochin hen.
View attachment 3787455
View attachment 3787456

I think gold blue on this one and partial laced. Pretty sure it's out of the gold laced cochin hen.
View attachment 3787457
View attachment 3787458

They are pretty! :love I'd agree on your assessments of their possible parents!

I pulled the next two babies out and banded them. The baby on the right standing up taller is our little Judy booty :love

View attachment 3787352

Interestingly, the non-Judy-booty has slate legs. I keep pencils in both of my breeder coops so that I can mark eggs as I collect them from those coops, so I can't think of any way I could have mixed up an egg from the general flock... But that has me second-guessing a bit anyway 🤔

View attachment 3787354

We had a little Splash baby hatch just now, too, one of the keeper eggs but the one I'm pretty sure is not a Judy booty, and little one has a lot of blood around its navel. 😟 It's peeping and scooting around like normal, and I don't see anything actually hanging out of the area, just blood, so hopefully baby will heal up and do fine :fl

While moving the Judy booty baby to the brooder, I also took a glance at the last two Judy booty eggs in that incubator and, sadly, one appears to have quit right here at the end. I left it in just to be safe, but I see no movement, no draw down, and the veins have gone patchy. 😔 The other is internally pipped and should go external before too much longer, I hope. And the last two cull eggs in the other incubator are externally pipped. Getting down to the wire! :wee
Judy booty baby knows its special and is standing extra tall 🥰

Hehe, yay, another genetics mystery! Who made the dark feet 🤔

Bummer on the Judy booty quitter but I hope #2 pops out soon! :wee

Judy booty baby knows its special and is standing extra tall 🥰

Hehe, yay, another genetics mystery! Who made the dark feet 🤔

Bummer on the Judy booty quitter but I hope #2 pops out soon! :wee

Judy booty #2 is zipping now :wee Fashionably late, too, as everyone else has hatched already.
watching the clock.gif

Oh my gosh, how cute :love ! The Judy Booty baby looks very very active, that's always nice to see! Those fluffy feet are killing me, they're concealing the third toe, making them look like tiny fluffy emus🤣

Just wait until they're fluffed out all the way, they look like they're wearing those fluffy footsie pajamas! 🥰 They are the absolute cutest little bitties... though I might be just a tad biased 🤭

Next two banded and moved to the brooder. 🥰

1711981555983.png

Judy booty 2 is still fluffing up a bit, so I haven't moved her out of the incubator just yet. I did do some waterer training in the brooder, though, and Judy booty 1 was the first to figure out the waterer on her own! :love

Back
Top Bottom