Pipd's Peeps!

That stress is what I've had for the last two weeks. And the other night there was a opossum trying to dig into my big over built first pen. The roots from the Ash tree the pen is under kept it out but now theres a cinder on tge partial hole. It was not a healthy specam either. There was skin missing from it's side and it was fighting the pole I used to get it away from the pen.

Ordering more 100ft roles of hardware clothe and some rolls of cage wire. The back of that coop didn't get the skirt because it's about a ft or less from the chain link fence.

:hugs Hope that that gets things solid and predator proof for you. Man, a lot of hungry critters showed up in your neighborhood lately! :rant

Pictures of the popcorn chicks!

View attachment 3833954
View attachment 3833955

The two with lag issues seam to be getting better in the brooder.

Cuties!! :love Glad the little ones with leg issues are starting to get their legs under them better! I've noticed sometimes that mine will have minor leg issues if they're in the incubator for a long time waiting for others to hatch, but their legs strengthen up once they're out on towels. Maybe that's what happened with your little ones, too?

Here is one of 10 hatchlings from Tuesday. They hatched from Silverudd Blue egg. We have a mix of black/blue and some like this one with a grey cast over the yellow. One has a lot of black on ithe top of its head. I could not catch it to get a picture. They live their brooder heat plate.

Pretty baby! Looks like a Splash :love The one with black on the head sounds interesting!

Oh my goodness! Maybe it's a good thing they had eggs to take and eat and that kept them from getting hungry and going after the chickens? Yikes so scary!!!

I hope you can get your coop shored up ASAP so you can breathe a little easier! I'm so glad you noticed the hole.

Yeah, I'm glad they were satisfied with just taking eggs! :th I would have been devastated to lose that group, those are the late Gus II's daughters!

We won't be able to make a trip in to get lumber for a bit, so I've taken some good, long screws and bolted the cage wire down real well to the floor, and I put the cement block back on top for good measure, so hopefully that will do until then. :fl Definitely keeping an eye on that part of the floor in the mean time.

Here are two more. The one in the back has a dark head. There is another that have even darker. He is quick and I could not catch him. I do not want frighten them.

Attachments

• F44647A7-6DA7-4C09-AF6A-5839AA5F4484.jpeg
    F44647A7-6DA7-4C09-AF6A-5839AA5F4484.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 3
Yeah I think after they got on the paper towels over the shavings it helped alot.

The first year that any of the visiting coons took advantage of my birds. Or actually worked at getting in my pens. Had to add more screws to the outside brooder as a blue cream silkie babie went missing as well. It's been a hard spring this year.

The blue golden duckwing OEGBs are on the way.

Here is the chick that has the dark head with yellow fluff body. Very calm chick when you can catch it. LOL. Most of the other yellow chicks have a dark grey mask around their eyes.

Attachments

• 2EB3813A-8824-40BE-86E9-FE2BD898CFFD.jpeg
    2EB3813A-8824-40BE-86E9-FE2BD898CFFD.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 3
  • 1F79BE62-28B6-4DF2-8E8F-929CC6F18FE1.jpeg
    1F79BE62-28B6-4DF2-8E8F-929CC6F18FE1.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 3
The OEGB eggs are here! They had a really rough journey tho. On one side of the box two corners were crumpled and damp. Got the box open and packing was good. Auction was for a dozen and they sent eight extras. This was a good thing because after getting the second packing open three of the eggs were broken. So I'll have a dozen plus five going in the 56ex either tomorrow or Sunday.

1000006055.jpg

Here is the chick that has the dark head with yellow fluff body. Very calm chick when you can catch it. LOL. Most of the other yellow chicks have a dark grey mask around their eyes.

Oh, goodness! It looks like it's been sweeping chimneys or something 🤭

The OEGB eggs are here! They had a really rough journey tho. On one side of the box two corners were crumpled and damp. Got the box open and packing was good. Auction was for a dozen and they sent eight extras. This was a good thing because after getting the second packing open three of the eggs were broken. So I'll have a dozen plus five going in the 56ex either tomorrow or Sunday.

View attachment 3835450

Oof, that sounds rough! Glad you got so many extras! Hopefully you get a good hatch from them :fl

Y'all, I got 5 eggs from Buck's pen last night. :th There were three eggs out there this afternoon, too. There was definitely an egg thief coming through the floor!!

Since Delphine's eggs were still clear when I candled yesterday, I set two of the Buck eggs from yesterday and the three eggs from this afternoon under her. Hopefully, since she's set up in a cage now where the other girls won't be constantly harassing her, she'll have better luck with getting these ones to develop. :fl

I meant to get Morena set up today, but unfortunately I've got to figure out how I'm going to do that all over again. You see, I found Roxanne up in the mixed flock with a prolapse, so the cage that I was going to use to let Morena sit had to be used as a hospital pen for Roxy instead. 🙁 It doesn't look too good, I can't get the prolapsed tissue to stay in and she's having trouble passing droppings because of it, but she doesn't act at all like she's unwell, she's managed to poo a few times since this morning, and she laid an egg, for crying out loud. :th

Anyway, so I might set up Morena just in a nest without a cage and see how it goes. She thus far has done well to prevent the other girls from pushing her around unlike Delphine, but I'm also not sure if she'll commit to one box or if she'll get distracted by the eggs in other boxes as the other girls lay through the day and abandon whatever eggs I put under her. :rolleyes:

Also, Gus III's first babies are in lock down! There was one that for some reason quit between Sunday and yesterday, so we're down to 8 eggs in that batch. As of this morning, I'm seeing the start of draw down! I haven't peeked yet tonight, but I imagine the action will start tomorrow anyway. :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom