Pipe feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bruins, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Bruins

Bruins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Frederick Co, MD
    Has anyone used a corrugated drain pipe for their feeders ?
    I have been trying without success to find the parts to make a pvc feeder . It seems like every store is either out of the right size pieces or is out of stock on a piece .

I have a black 4 in corrugated pipe that I can use though . I used zip ties to hold a J bend at the bottom and can easily attach it to a support in the run .

2. arkwelded

arkwelded Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I made 2 boxes that hold about 60# of feed or corn. It tapers at the bottom with a trap for the chickas to eat at will. I have them inside the run so it is secured to everything but mice, and mice do not last to long in our run. I will try to post a pic later

3. arkwelded

Sep 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]this is the feed box

[​IMG]this is the new corn box

[​IMG]the lid just sets on top

the boxes hold an entire 50# bag of food. i just check it every few days.
    *important note* the tray on the bottom needs to be about 4" deep
    when i first made it i had a 1" lip and came home to find a whole bag on the ground. i think it may have been a combonation of too shallow and it being new the girls though it was cool to pull it out of the tray. they work great now as i have modified the original and made the second one deeper. when you install it you want them to have to be standing to eat out of it, but make sure your shortest chicken can reach into it. I will make a drawing and post the dimensions

4. arkwelded

Sep 1, 2014
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    here is a simple drawing

i used stuff i had around, one is made out of 3/4" plywood the other a combo of plywood and boards.

a good cut list would be
    40 x 18 - back
    31 x 18 - front
    4 x 18 - front tray
    16.5 x 7.25 - bottom of tray
    9 x 16.5 - for angled inside piece
    20 x 10 and 7.2 x 16.2 - lid pieces
    8 x 40 - sides (two each)

if you really wanted it fancy you could use glass or plexiglass for the front or a side so you could see the level.

i hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by