Piperacillin-Tazobactam (Piptaz) for unknown diagnosis

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Has anyone's vet ever prescribed their chickens the antibiotic Piptaz? My 2 year old Dominique (Poppy) is dealing with some medical issues that the vet (board certified) has not been able to diagnose. Her observable symptom is very heavy/rapid breathing where her whole body bobs up and down (only when she's seated/sleeping). Upon Xrays they see that her heart and heart cavity is very enlarged. And her lungs show abnormal 'cloudy' appearance. They think she could have fluid in her heart and/or lungs. And that her enlarged/irregular organs are compressing her ability to breath properly. Her bloodwork is generally normal with maybe early sign of an infection. She was prescribed Clavamox (antibiotic) and Furosemide (a diuretic) but after 2 weeks there is no improvement. She's maybe gotten slightly worse. So they want to prescribe Piptaz which is apparently stronger and is an injectable (so I have to learn how to do that yikes). In doing research online I'm not coming across anything regarding Piptaz use for chickens.

The best thing they can do is drain the fluid from her abdomen and continue with the antibiotic the vet prescribed. This antibiotic is new and works on resistant strains.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-su...am-intravenous-route/description/drg-20072716
I've found the medication online for use in humans and dogs, just not poultry.

I also asked about draining the fluid but since it is not in her abdomen (which appears to be normal in x-rays). The fluid is in the heart cavity (maybe) and lungs (maybe). I guess they don't drain from those organs. That's where the diuretic is supposed to help. And if it's bacteria pneumonia (which is a possibility) the antibiotic should help.

I've found the medication online for use in humans and dogs, just not poultry.

I also asked about draining the fluid but since it is not in her abdomen (which appears to be normal in x-rays). The fluid is in the heart cavity (maybe) and lungs (maybe). I guess they don't drain from those organs. That's where the diuretic is supposed to help. And if it's bacteria pneumonia (which is a possibility) the antibiotic should help.
It's a human drug being used off label as an animal drug. This is pretty common in the vet business. Good luck with your hen!

Back
Top Bottom