Pipped at the wrong end???

hambone84

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Kansas
I came home for work fixing to go on lockdown with my baby turkes that are on day 25 and one has pipped in the small end near the top? Why and will it make it?

I see its beak poke through the membrane occasionally it peeps alot...I cant afford to help it even if I have to its 3 days early and I cant risk the other eggs howver none of them have pipped yet... They just do a lot or rocking back and forth...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Leave it alone---it'll be fine if it's doing it's thing. i had one pip at the wrong end and take 24 hours to hatch---just leave it alone.

IMG_1373-1.jpg

Ok so if I leave it alone for 24 hours then what if it hasnt hatched? then do I do something or do I leave the lid shut to save the other chicks?

They often take longer if they pip the narrow end. Normally a chick should break the membrane into the air sac at the large end and then about 24hrs later pip the shell. When they pip the narrow end or other weird places they tend to skip the middle step so they may be as much as 24hrs ahead of the others. Just leave it alone. Most of mine have hatched on their own when they pipped weird places.

Thanks for the information..It makes since now thjat you say they have skipped the second step...Im excited the others are occasionally moving! There wild turkey eggs and I have 18, I sure would like to get about six or seven poults!!! LOL its tough to be patient I just keep setting there watching and listening to it chirp! My humidity is only at 65% and thats with a sponge in the bottom! It will be a long 3 days!

Had three pip at the wrong end! two made no further progress, and I intervened with last one and it dies late last night...Bottom Line if id got there and intervened earlier I think I could have saved all three!

Quote:
Hambone,

Don't lay that on yourself man. I'm not that experienced a hatcher - but the two hatches I had both times I had chicks pip at the pointed end. DANNY here taught me if you can see the membrane to spray it with a warm water spritz just to keep the membrane soft. If they make it out they were meant to live, if they don't well they probably wouldn't have lived had you helped. I helped TWO this last hatch, one lived and one passed away the same night he hatched. Cute little bugger too.

We get these adorable babies and once in a while we lose one. Seems the more pets you have the more opportunities for an occasional passing. We lost a parakeet named Meadow, she was a sweet bird but kinda frail. We were Blessed to have her as long as we did.

You hang in there and keep trying... If you need advice DANNY is a really great guy with a LOT of years raising all kinds of birds.

DANNY thank you again for all your support and advice.

BigMike

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom