Pipped at wrong end :(

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
Today is hatch day,and one is out and healthy,yaaa.One has pipped at the wrong end,which i dont understand.They were place in an automatic turner,fat end up.I candled a few times before lockdown,then right at lockdown.The air cells were fine and at the right end.My humidity was 35-40 first 18,then bumped to 65-75.My heat rain 99-100.Any ideas how this could have happened and what chance the chick has?Thanks for any help.

If the chick did not turn around into the correct position between day 14 and day 18, it will be malpositioned. Sometimes they have grown too large to turn in the shell, and cannot turn. Others are normally sized and still don't turn.

If you get an external pip on a malpositioned chick, quite often they hatch out just fine as long as they didn't hit a blood vessel while pipping directly through the shell. You may have to help, but don't rush it...24 hours at a minimum between pip and hatch should be your hands off window.

Last edited:
I'd lay that one flat, with the pip facing up. It sometimes happens because the chick is not able to turn around. Similar to some human babies ending up being a breech presentation at birth. It will have a harder time hatching, and may need a bit of assist in the end, but, chances are good that it will come out just fine. Keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom