1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pipped but not hatching eggs. advice needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kat, Mar 20, 2008.

1. kat

kat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    barnsley. england
    hi ive had a few posts on here in past couple of days. we have 6 duck eggs now, 4 we think have peeped(not 100% sure). they peeped on tuesday night and havent got any further do you think now would be a good time to intervene. they are still moving inside but just getting worryed because everywhere says should have pipped within 48 hours, any advice would be greatful. thanks for reading

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You might want to edit your title and be specific about pipped but not hatching duck eggs so someone with experience can see the thread easier and might can help you.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Give them some time is my best advice. sometimes they take an extra day to hatch

4. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    The duckling can internally pip a couple of days before you see them externally pip the shell, as long as your humidity is stable and high (over 60%), they should hatch anytime now. Don't be surprised if they have externally pipped on the side of the egg facing away from you.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Have you been misting them with warm water throught incubation? Are you opening the bator often since they pipped? You can try opening the pipped hole a tiny chip at a time and see if you can't encourage them to work harder. If there is no external pip, I would hesitate and breaking open the shell as you can't be sure the best place. IF they have not externally pipped, I would just keep the bator shut and wait.

6. kat

kat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    barnsley. england
    we have just opened one of the eggs it was movin to start with but then it died. think we are just going to leave the rest and if they hatch they hatch if they dont it was never meant to be. thanks for all your help

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    when you intervine you have to be careful. Drafts are a #1 cause for death as will as breaking the membrane. They have to stop the blood flow of the membrane. Sorry it died [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by