Pipped egg gone from nest!! Broody ate it??

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
More devastating news!!! At about noonish I checked under our other broody bantam and there was a pipped egg!! After I feed all the animals the egg was gone, no blood, no shell just gone!!! :th:idunno :hitThe other egg also had a crack in it, not a pip the egg looked too young. She has hatched eggs last year so....We are so disappointed! We have been have NO luck incubating and trying to hatch our own eggs we are about to just give up!!! Two eggs out of 35 eggs have hatched...moms ate them, crushed them, predators got in our turkey coop, and our incubator is a piece of $h*t. Has anyone's broodys ate their own chicks?? Did the rooster or another hen eat it?? Please help me! I want to know what to do next.

@
How many eggs are still under her?

Is she sitting in a predator proof area?
There are no more eggs under, her she had one pipped egg that disappeared, and the other one got cracked the chick died. No, she was not in a total predator proof area (mice) but she was in one of the nest boxes in the coop. Wondering if it was one of the other hens? The last time one of the chicks hatched the other hens were free ranging so I don't think they knew it hatched. If that makes any sense.

@

There are no more eggs under, her she had one pipped egg that disappeared, and the other one got cracked the chick died. No, she was not in a total predator proof area (mice) but she was in one of the nest boxes in the coop. Wondering if it was one of the other hens? The last time one of the chicks hatched the other hens were free ranging so I don't think they knew it hatched. If that makes any sense.
Last year I lost all but 2 of an entire clutch because a young hen from the year prior decided to go nuts killing all the babies under my broody. Another hen could definitely be responsible. In my experience, it's not common, but it can happen. :(

@

There is absolutely no way any of us are going to be able to tell you what ate/stole the chick.

Can you set up a www.wyze.com camera in this area?

Last edited:
Last year I lost all but 2 of an entire clutch because a young hen from the year prior decided to go nuts killing all the babies under my broody. Another hen could definitely be responsible. In my experience, it's not common, but it can happen. :(
It happens all the time.
I'd recommend building a rat proof area for the next broody. An area no other birds can get into.

Back
Top Bottom