Pipped egg Mom abandoned

agingerbrunette

Chirping
May 8, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I have a hen who just hatched 6 eggs (this wasn’t on purpose and y’all helped me figure out what to do).
She abandoned 4 eggs and one pipped (I think that’s right) yesterday but she hasn’t been near it. I’m including a photo bc it’s actively chirping and I’m not sure if it’s at a point where I should help or warm or what!?

PLEASE ADVISE!
591D26B9-37CC-4B92-8489-15FEDD4ABE4C.jpeg
591D26B9-37CC-4B92-8489-15FEDD4ABE4C.jpeg

Do you have an incubator , or heating pad? I would put it in a container, by a heat source with a damp paper towel near it to help with humidity. You may need to moisten the membrane area where the pip is, but I would let it do the rest. Definitely needs warmth.

Do you have an incubator , or heating pad? I would put it in a container, by a heat source with a damp paper towel near it to help with humidity. You may need to moisten the membrane area where the pip is, but I would let it do the rest. Definitely needs warmth.
I don’t have an incubator but I do have a heating pad. This was 100% by mistake and I was not prepared or versed for this. I do have a heating pad… we’ve simply been cupping it to try and keep it warm.

Is the heating pad to just be set low?

Do I just do a couple drops is water around the opening?

I don’t have an incubator but I do have a heating pad. This was 100% by mistake and I was not prepared or versed for this. I do have a heating pad… we’ve simply been cupping it to try and keep it warm.

Is the heating pad to just be set low?

Do I just do a couple drops is water around the opening?
I would dab with a damp paper towel around the opening and set the heat pad as it would for an incubator. Make sure it’s warm (90s), if you have a thermometer to help that would be good. You can place the egg in a plastic container with a lid and wet paper towel for humidity on top of the heat pad. It should work, might take a little whiles for it to hatch. Even the other eggs should be able to stand a chance. I hatched some chicks once in an emergency with a heat pad. Definitely recommend an incubator at hand for the future :).

Back
Top Bottom