Pipped eggs wont hatch after I openned incubator

AQuailGuy

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2022
I am hatching a small batch of 11 quail eggs. Today is day 16 and four of them hatched. They were fine in the incubator, pushing around other pipped eggs until one got stuck (its quite complicated). I quickly openned the incubator and got the hatched chicks out safely (yay) and closed it in no more than a second. Yet i have 6 pipped eggs that havnt made progress whatsoever since I extracted the chicks. The other chicks went from pip to hatch in about an hour. I am worried about the eggs, should I try to assist them in hatching?

No. Just wait.

I've opened my incubator to extract chicks numerous times and the others eventually came out. They aren't all the same when it comes to the length of time to zip.

If you try to assist and they haven't absorbed the blood vessels, you likely will nick a vessel and cause damage or death to the chick. Some chicks take an extra day to come out. Just make sure the humidity is where it should be and wait

No. Just wait.

I've opened my incubator to extract chicks numerous times and the others eventually came out. They aren't all the same when it comes to the length of time to zip.

If you try to assist and they haven't absorbed the blood vessels, you likely will nick a vessel and cause damage or death to the chick. Some chicks take an extra day to come out. Just make sure the humidity is where it should be and wait
Thanks for the reply,

I have read about the risks of assisting in hatching. Is it true that there is little to no chance of the chick hatching 24 hours after the first pip? I was wondering if it was normal for an egg not to be in action for a few hours after some pips. Its quite obvious but this is my first hatch

Thanks alot

I’ve only had one issue with a chick not completely hatching and dying inside the egg after piping and starting to zip, and I’ve been through many many hatches.

As an assist, I also keep my incubator in the bathroom and run the shower when I open the incubator. It sounds dumb, but getting the humidity up helps - even if it’s only in my head lol.

Thanks for the reply,

I have read about the risks of assisting in hatching. Is it true that there is little to no chance of the chick hatching 24 hours after the first pip? I was wondering if it was normal for an egg not to be in action for a few hours after some pips. Its quite obvious but this is my first hatch

Thanks alot
I know it can be unnerving to wait and there's a learning curve the first hatch or two.
Yes it's normal for some to have a snooze before zipping

If today is only day 16, definitely leave them alone! They normally hatch on day 17, and they can be pipped for 24 hours before zipping.

Back
Top Bottom