Pipped Wrong End

tgperg

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
Oklahoma City
Three of my duck eggs have externally pipped now, but one pipped the wrong end. It punctured a small blood vessel it looks like because there is blood on the membrane. I'm not sure it's going to have room to turn around in the shell, but is there anything I can do? The incubator is at 99 and 80% relative humidity and the chick is peeping.

75821_imag1660.jpg

Traci

I had a baby chick do that last week. I ended up taking tweezers and CAREFULLY pipping the shell off, leaving only the membrane. I also held it in a wet warm cloth as I did so. He finally hatched after 2 days, and is as healthy as the rest. I don't know about a duck, but I would try it.

No point. It was pipping more, then it popped a bigger blood vessel and it died. It bled more, and just stopped breathing and died. I did an egg-topsy and it had pooped in its shell. Looks like it lost too much blood and had some pretty bad respiratory distress.

Traci

Thanks.
smile.png
The next one is doing much better. It's pipped the proper end and it's zipped almost all the way around the egg. Taking a little rest now, but still working on it.

Traci

Back
Top Bottom