Pipping at the very top, instead of the side?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
I have one that has pipped at the very top of the egg, instead of down the side a bit. Really with no way to zip after that, and it seems to kind of be stuck just trying to work that same area. The one that pipped nearly 2 hours after has now hatched. There is still movement. Keep seeing it's beak peck through the same spot, but no progress. Is this something to be worried about?

I guess I need to fight the urge to do anything. It's been 11 hours since pip. It keeps pecking at the same spot over and over, as if it can't re-position itself to work on another spot. Frustrating...

I would help him (maybe wait an hour or two and give him a last chance to do in on his own). Especially if his hole is big, he probably started to dry and he won't make it on his own.

If you help - remember doing it slowly and letting him rest after every small progress - and of course try helping him as little as possible and see if he can finish on his own.

It seems like the ones I've had to help out have pipped a larger sized hole and are just parked there fore a looooong time. It seems like they are stuck. I've gotten lucky the ones I've helped so far have all been fine.

We decided to follow advice read a LOT and give it time, some people stating that pip to hatch can take 24 hours. Well, it got out on it's own while we tried to take a cat nap for a couple hours! So all is well! Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
It's true that it can take up to 24 hours, but if there is a large pip it's better not to wait that long (I think 16 hours with no progress with a large hole is about time to help out). Anyway, I'm glad he made it!

Last edited:
Congratulations...
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom