Pipping at wrong end and dry membrane!

Pics
The duckling hasn't tried to get out on the right end although I saw some movement near the safety hole.
I candled and I didn't really see veins so I think it's done absorbing. It did make a bruise on the wrong side of the shell (like how Newt got out).
Should I make a hole where the bruise was or widen the safety hole?
I would say go ahead widen the safety hole and make sure baby is in the correct position. If the head is in the air cell, there is so need to make other holes. I'm starting to wonder if you saw something other than the beak in the air cell.
Veins are hard to see at this stage, the fact the safety hole bled a tiny bit shows that there must be vessels left.

Once the safety hole is bigger, use a little coconut oil on the internal membrane so that you can see any blood vessels.
@New duck mommy 2021 what do you think?

I widened the hole. It was moving a bit but after I widened the hole and put coconut oil on the membrane, I saw how many bright red veins there were. The internal membrane wasn't open and the duckling doesn't seem to be moving.
Here are pictures (apologies for how dark it is)
1659195948049.png
1659195954919.png

Is the duckling dead? Is there anything else I can do to save it?

EDIT: It was moving before I began to widen the hole.

Last edited:
I would say go ahead widen the safety hole and make sure baby is in the correct position. If the head is in the air cell, there is so need to make other holes. I'm starting to wonder if you saw something other than the beak in the air cell.
Veins are hard to see at this stage, the fact the safety hole bled a tiny bit shows that there must be vessels left.

Once the safety hole is bigger, use a little coconut oil on the internal membrane so that you can see any blood vessels.
@New duck mommy 2021 what do you think?
I opened the internal membrane and see no beak.
I think the duckling passed away.. honestly I dunno how since it was still moving when I was opening the air cell..

EDIT: cracked the egg where the bruise was and the beak was there. Sadly, it didn't make it. I planned on naming her Tulipa.

Last edited:
@BelovedBirds @New duck mommy 2021 @SmiYa0126
Thank you three for your help with Tulipa but she sadly didn't make it.
I opened the entire egg and turns out she didn't even get into the air cell, didn't absorb anything, but she tried and tried to get out.
Tulipa would've been a grey call duck (from what it looks like). We are burying her today.

When I widened the safety hole to check for her head, it was too late. She had already suffocated. My dad tried to convince me to crack it where the bruise (that was actually where her beak/head was, either way it might've been a bad idea cracking it there since that was where the yolk was too) was but it looked like her beak was still at the air cell so I widened the safety hole.

Again, thank you three for your advice and help. We are probably going to try and find another call duckling so Newt has a friend.

Last edited:
@BelovedBirds @New duck mommy 2021 @SmiYa0126
Thank you three for your help with Tulipa but she sadly didn't make it.
I opened the entire egg and turns out she didn't even get into the air cell, didn't absorb anything, but she tried and tried to get out.
Tulipa would've been a grey call duck (from what it looks like). We are burying her today.

When I widened the safety hole to check for her head, it was too late. She had already suffocated. My dad tried to convince me to crack it where the bruise (that was actually where her beak/head was, either way it might've been a bad idea cracking it there since that was where the yolk was too) was but it looked like her beak was still at the air cell so I widened the safety hole.

Again, thank you three for your advice and help. We are probably going to try and find another call duckling so Newt has a friend.
Im
So sorry
I wish I had asked you to look for a bruise
I have lost one not knowing what that meant but saved the next one who bruised the wrong end

Back
Top Bottom