pipping but not hatching, need the experts help

It’s a great thread!
I love all the info.

I have assisted one so far. She made a side door and broke she’ll but only small beak hole in membrane and it was drying and you could see her try to push through it but it wouldn’t tear. Another egg hatched and shot up humidity so I took advantage of moment to quickly grab “Side Door”.

The membrane was hard and leathery and separate from shell to I broke some shell and slit hard dry membrane to give her a chance to push more than her beak through. I set her back inside and she hatched a minute or so later. She’s doing great. No blood.

Ya just to add to the pile we help fairly often too. Our incubator kind of sucks so it's hard to regulate humidity.

If they internal pip but no external pip after a few hours, we help it with an external pip. If they are moving breathing and peeping with their external pip we mostly just leave them. After over 24 hours we reassess and if they have made absolutely no progress we will enlarge the pip hole. Once we can see the internal membrane you can get an idea if the blood has been absorbed by how veiny it looks etc. If it doesn't look veiny, we start the zip for it a bit. If you see almost any amount of blood, we stop. Give it another few hours and re-check. Maybe try again. If any blood STOP.

If this kind of thing happens we are checking fairly often. If the chick stops moving around much or anything then we basically help it regardless.

For whatever reason, we seem to have had to help a chick or two from every hatch. We have yet to lose a chick from helping it. You just have to be careful and make sure they are ready but actually need help.

Thank you I needed to hear that, I started second guessing myself.. I just heard some chirping so I know it is at least still alive. Does the humidity sound alright at 66-67 I keep hearing about them getting shrink wrapped and not able to peck through the membrane if it is to low.

Patience grasshopper...lol humidity is where mine was when my 1st hatched this morning, I have had one pipped for a long time too and just noticed a teeeny bit of progress!

I already had one die at 36 hours I pulled it out because it was'nt making any progress and it was dead. Now another has been pipped for over 18 hours and I can hear it pecking but its not getting anywhere humidity is at 68 I added more h2o but I dont think it's helping. Should I try to help, keep in mind there is still 9 eggs in there that have not pipped this is end of day 21. It's so frustrating because they are fully formed. Please help!!!!

I know this is late but.... If you dont see progress take a pair of tweezers and carefully pip an line around the egg where the chick started to pip. Do not tear the inner membrane in the process just in case the chick hasnt absorbed all the blood into itself yet. Then give it a half hour to see if it will push out on its own. If it doesnt and the inner membrane blood vessels are pretty much empty then remove the top half of the egg shell the peel back the membrane. Then let the chick come out of the shell on its own. If it cant do that on its own there is little chance it will survive.

I have a chick that pipped over 12 hours ago. It made a nice little hole and we could see it looking like it was taking breaths. Today it looks like it's beak is poking out of the hole but there hasn't been any progress or movement. Should I consider it dead?

Hi, no I would not consider it dead not after 12 hours you may not have seen movement because it is resting. Hatching takes a lot of hard work for the chick. There are no rules set in stone for hatching all chicks are different. I have had some do an external pip but then not hatch for 24 hours. Try not to worry and let nature take its corse.:fl

I know this is late but.... If you dont see progress take a pair of tweezers and carefully pip an line around the egg where the chick started to pip. Do not tear the inner membrane in the process just in case the chick hasnt absorbed all the blood into itself yet. Then give it a half hour to see if it will push out on its own. If it doesnt and the inner membrane blood vessels are pretty much empty then remove the top half of the egg shell the peel back the membrane. Then let the chick come out of the shell on its own. If it cant do that on its own there is little chance it will survive.

This would be my advice too :)

Back
Top Bottom