Pipping, but not through membrane?

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Had two turkey poults hatch last night, this morning two eggs had a pip in the shell but the membrane wasnt broken. One egg would rock when I talked to it. It's been over 12 hours with no progress and now no movement. Everyone says wait and leave it alone. Should I pick a small hole in the membrane to help, or is it too late?

Update, I picked up the egg and listened to it. There is life, could hear tapping inside. Maybe there's a small hole in the membrane I cant see? I'll leave it alone overnight. Humidity is at 80, forced air incubator.

Thanks for posting this -- I am having the same issue. It's been nearly 24 hours for my quail egg with an external pip but the internal membrane intact, and I'm doing my best to just leave it alone. We have a pretty makeshift incubator right now since I sold all of my incubation equipment a few months ago (of course...) for keeping reptile eggs at proper temps/humidity, so of course I just found a random egg as soon as I didn't have anything to properly incubate it in.. but I can literally see him moving his beak around in there and chilling out, so I'm hoping it'll be the same kind of thing, and he'll come out on his own soon. (And that I haven't messed anything up with the humidity, seeing as I have to open this thing pretty frequently to monitor the temps and make adjustments.)

Back
Top Bottom