pipping question -- 1st timer hatcher

CovenantCreek

Chicks Rule!
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Franklin, TN
I have 2 eggs in the hatcher right now that are either at the end of day 20 or the beginning of day 21. One of them appears to have gotten into the air sack (shadow of something very close to the shell) but doesn't seemed to have moved since last night. Is this normal or is the chick most likely dead at this point?

The other doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. Which also concerns me a little. The temps have been fairly consistent, though not perfect. Sometimes a degree or two under 99.5, sometimes a degree or two over.

I agree, its still plenty early...some take up to 24 hours after they first pip....Patience!...

It just depends on the chick. I had one pip yesterday afternoon and one last night before I went to bed. The one that pipped at night was out and about this morning. The one that pipped in the afternoon is still working on it. This morning I seen a few more that had pipped and I'm on day 21 now.

We're well into day 21 and so far no signs of life from either egg -- no rocking, no rolling, no pipping, no visible movement when candled. The one that has a shadow inside the air sack hasn't moved since I first saw it two nights ago.
sad.png

The best thing you can do now is to put them in the bator and don't open it again till day 22 or 23.

Ideally, in the future, you want to make sure your humidity and temps are right and resist the urge to touch the eggs from day 18 through 21. Else, chicks can dry out, get chilled, and just not hatch. Good luck and hope someone makes it.

Quote:
You make it sound so easy to ignore those little babies...... Ok, I'll leave these two alone and try not to harass the ones still in the incubator till it's time to put them in the hatcher. Sigh. Will power is not one of my strengths.

Back
Top Bottom