Pips Occurrence

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Mar 16, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    For a normal hatch, not early, not late, what is the day in which you would most likely see the first Pip? Day 20, 21? Just curious...

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I usually see the first pip on day 20.....

3. Lroach711

Lroach711 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Pickens, SC
    I'm new to all this but I've got 2 pips today and it's day 19 [​IMG]

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    The reason I ask is that I am halfway through day 20 and I see nothing at this point. First time hatcher and the suspense is killing me. Trying not to have any doubts...

5. bordergurl

bordergurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Niagara Region
    Last hatch they pipped day 20. It was a good 20 hrs before the first one hatched (day 21) and then they all followed like popcorn.

Patience!

6. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    First time with hatching Day 20 tonight, first one has pipped and this evening in no time pushed her way out! few others are moving around but no other pip signs on the other ones. A few are chirping to each other as they wobble around. From what I read it is okay to leave the loner in the incubator ~ as to not disturb the others. But what if lets say tomorrow night I have a big group of them ready to come out and there are signs of others making their way? I worry about leaving him or the others that come out while we sleep in there too long....what really is too long....also thinking crowd control. This is exciting. [​IMG] My only concern is dh pulled the thermometers out because he was worried they would hurt the chicks. He said the temp has been stable right along. But as I look at other picks I see all kinds of gadgets in the bators. I hope this wasnt to bad of a choice (well I think it was, but I hope it doesnt harm them and temp continues being stable). [​IMG]

Good luck on your hatch!!

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I usually get my first pips early on in day 21, and my first hatchers late on in the same day...

8. chickpeaz

chickpeaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Central PA
    I think my temps must run a little cool, as I very rarely see a pip before day 21. I've had some hatch as late as day 24. So don't be discouraged!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by