Pit bulls in my coop!!

hi, i have a pit bull and she thinks the chicks and chickens are her puppies,i would feel sorry for any animal that tried to get them,also have a border collie, never had any problems with eather dog and my live stock,please don't put pits as bad,it's the owner that makes any dog bad if not cared for right. bear

Oh no! How awful! I've already checked my laws for my area. I'm good to shoot ANYTHING (except birds of prey) that's a nuisance on my property. I would not hesitate to use lethal force if that happened to me. I would not want these dogs to be alive to do this to someone else! I understand everybody has their own comfort level and laws, in regards to these situations. This is just my 2 cents.

.....our chicken run covers about 2 acres and is fenced with a 8' tall chain linked fence of which 1' is buried beneath the ground...we also have a hot-wire at the base of the fence..we also have infra-red and motion sensor video cameras that cover the barn area.. but it is not always predator proof..it has been compromised several times over the years... if a dog/dogs or coyotes are determined enough to get to the chickens..they will... we have had dogs ignore the hot wire and climb over the chainlink fence....and if a treelimb falls over the fence we have had dogs get in that way to... recently we had 2 pit bulls that dug a hole under the 1' deep buired fence while simply ignoring the sting of the hot-wire, we were able trapped them in the chicken yard and kept them till the deputy arrived... he took his police special pump shot-gun and killed both.. ...there is no sure way if you live on large acreage that you can 100% prevent attacks...

I think the dog owner should pay for all that damage to your coop and for new chickens. Samething happened to us our dog got out of a fully fenced in yard and killed the neighbors dog. Our dog went bye bye and we paid the neighbors vet bills cremation and for a new dog if he wanted one in the future. Things like this happen but its up to a responsible owner to make things right....

I am sorry about your chickens... hugs

If i had the stupid little card for this nook i would post pics of my 2 pits a 50 lb. Female and an 80 lb. Male with my just hatched chicks. They love them and protect them from our cats. They arent all bad and actually are very smart with the right owner my female knows more commands than any other dog ive ever met. And we have no aggression issues with them, they dont like anything on my property but dont step foot off of it either.

All these dogs are running around because people will not spay and neuter!!! And then they simply turn them loose!

There must have been something wrong with the dogs to eat a Beagle and 11 Chickens
Not too long ago I read an article (can't remember if it was local or not) about a pack of pit bulls that attacked and killed a woman who was jogging. You are so fortunate that you were not hurt! I worry so much about roaming dogs around here. We're more rural and it's not uncommon to see strays and drop offs wandering...most of which are starving and in a pitiful state. So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom