Pitbull attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenboy2001

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Hillsborough, NC
A few weeks ago I was watching my chickens, and my mom called me inside. She wanted me to take out the compost. When I came back after a few minutes, carrying the compost pail, I saw two pitbull dogs chasing my chickens. My chickens escaped death by hiding in the woods, while I chased the dogs away with a stick. None of my chickens died, but we might not be as lucky next time. Does anyone know what to do about the dogs?

-Chickenboy

A few weeks ago I was watching my chickens, and my mom called me inside. She wanted me to take out the compost. When I came back after a few minutes, carrying the compost pail, I saw two pitbull dogs chasing my chickens. My chickens escaped death by hiding in the woods, while I chased the dogs away with a stick. None of my chickens died, but we might not be as lucky next time. Does anyone know what to do about the dogs?

-Chickenboy
Are they dogs that are around the neighborhood or strays? You were lucky yourself if they were pitbulls with just a stick. Do you live in town or in the country. Can you call the animal control people.

Animal contol if you have one, sheriff if you do not have animal control. They were on your property attacking your livestock and could have just a easily attacked you.

Is your property fenced? Fenced property and chickens kept in secure runs are the best methods to keep them safe. If you know who owns the pitbulls, you or your mom can contact them and ask them to keep their dogs confined. Would also be good to report the incident to the police or animal control, even though it was a couple weeks ago, just to get the incident documented.

If worse comes to worse and they come back, you may need to be prepared with lethal methods to stop a massacre. Hope it doesn't come to that.

I use tall wire fencing and long rebar in areas that dogs are more likely to enter and usually have pepper spray on hand for any dogs. Never thought of fireworks.. But I guess a few roman candles would probably scare them away :D ;) Best to have a camera ready to have evidence if the unfortunate happens. Usually the dog is local and the owner's deny that their sweet Lil Muffin could never kill a chicken!

Last week, 2 of my neighbors dogs (a Pyrenees and a Pyr mix) got into the pasture and killed at least 3 of my chickens. 1 was never found. We are new here and rent so I called our landlord to see if he knew who owned them. He did. They had killed some of his sheep in the past. The neighbor was called and said that he will keep them chained.
We spoke with the Sheriff's office after the fact and were told that the proper way to handle it is talk to neighbor, report to sheriff. If it happens again, report to sheriff, dogs can be shot. It is a felony in this county for an owner to allow a known livestock killer to roam.

Find out what your local laws are. Call animal control. Find the owners. Do not threaten to shoot them UNLESS you have the legal right to do so, it could cause many more problems.

I have had all sorts of fun with dogs, pitbulls included. I am a big dude yet have reservations about taking on such dogs with a stick becuase are not all quite right in head. Some I could easily chase off, a couple others were killed in act of pursuing stock, and others where reported to owners and / or law enforcement. Depending on your area, law enforcement which includes animal control may or may not be effective; here they are not. Some owners are responsible but in my area they are the minority. As I have built up experience at this, I found it is best not to confront owners directly until they are identified and researched a little. If dogs have a history of getting out and owners are prone to being confrontational, then I will no longer contact such and discretely shoot dog(s) when they visit. With one pitbull, I inadvertantly trained it to not mess with my birds but that is not best route as was stressfull on birds and I. Biggest variable to be considered is dog owners. Here, the folks most inclined to be owners of such dogs complicate matters greatly.

Good luck and try to keep a cool head. Hot head like mine makes for more trouble than worth. Also, with some dog owners, the shoot-shovel-shutup method not best because reputation might promote their efforts to better control dogs from known threat. With others, keep it quite.

I'd shoot the dog(s) in a heartbeat. I don't tolerate anything messing with my livestock.....period. If noise is an issue......

Last edited:
I would shoot them on site.I used to try and catch loose dogs,but not after one caused $400 injury in my own dog.Could have been me that got bit.Fencing for livestock,but nothing is 100%.I have something at hand now always,because I now know how hard it is to control a dog in attack mode.Might give a free pass one time if no harm done,but repeat roamers should be dispatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom