Pitbulls? Don't want to have an incorrect understanding of the breed

So what's your take? (Not meant to sound sarcastic, just trying to see all the views here)

My take is that there is no umbrella term. Its the "American pit bull terrier". That rescue "pit bulls" are usually not even pit bulls at all, instead "bully breed mixes'. Its not all in how you raise them, as the APBT does have severe animal aggression and thats genetic. Just like how collies herd and pointers point. The APBT is a rare breed, not a dog you go to shelter and pick up, like a labrador or a chihuahua. They are RARE!. You aren't going to find a Yakutian Laika at a shelter, and you wont find an APBT there either.

My take is that there is no umbrella term. Its the "American pit bull terrier". That rescue "pit bulls" are usually not even pit bulls at all, instead "bully breed mixes'. Its not all in how you raise them, as the APBT does have severe animal aggression and thats genetic. Just like how collies herd and pointers point. The APBT is a rare breed, not a dog you go to shelter and pick up, like a labrador or a chihuahua. They are RARE!. You aren't going to find a Yakutian Laika at a shelter, and you wont find an APBT there either.
So "Pitbull'' isn't actually a breed, or is it just used to mislabel APBTs?

WRONG

the pit bull is not a "umbrellla term" or "not actually a breed". Thats like calling EVERY yellow colored dog a Golden retriever. The Pit bull is a REAL breed and it is the American pit bull terrier. Period. End of story
I agree. I did point out in my post that there is a breed called a pit bull terrier. However other bully breeds and their mixes are often referred to under the term “Pit Bull” Even shelters and rescues do this. I’m not saying it’s a good thing but it is what it is. Unless someone specifically says American Pit Bull Terrier than this are likely talking about a mix. I’d be happy if this is changed. I’m sick of my Boxers being called pits when they are an entirely different breed.
So "Pitbull'' isn't actually a breed, or is it just used to mislabel APBTs?
American Pit Bull Terriers are a breed. Pitbulls are not a breed they are usually mixes that often don’t even have any APBT in them.

Back
Top Bottom