Pitbulls? Don't want to have an incorrect understanding of the breed

Pics
Yes, but is it related to genetics at all, or are pitbulls strong but sweet and all trained to be bad? Becasue that's kind of what you're saying, opr at least what it sounds like
I believe it is in their genetics. Sure there's one dog every so often in every breed that's aggressive, impulsive, etc., but that's what pitbulls were bred for. Bait. And eventually, they were bred for fighting. I think that in any pit, there's always that one twig that can snap at any moment. Some twigs are just stronger than others, but many things can trigger the breaking of it.

I had a pitbull pup. He was a big dude. Very playful, and strong. He never did cause harm, even to people he didn't know. Lived outside.

I believe it is in their genetics. Sure there's one dog every so often in every breed that's aggressive, impulsive, etc., but that's what pitbulls were bred for. Bait. And eventually, they were bred for fighting. I think that in any pit, there's always that one twig that can snap at any moment. Some twigs are just stronger than others, but many things can trigger the breaking of it.

I had a pitbull pup. He was a big dude. Very playful, and strong. He never did cause harm, even to people he didn't know. Lived outside.

They weren't bait dogs, they where pit fighting dogs. they fought eachother, and after the sport was banned, they did rat hunts in pits

Any animal can attack, no matter how nice or 'sweet' it is. Even the 'sweetest' breeds can be vicious. Even the most 'terrifying' breed can be teddy bears. Training has a lot to do with it, and the dogs temperament too. Some or more disposed to being a tougher breed, but it all boils down really to YOUR animal.

What do you get when you cross a pit bull with Lassie? A dog that rips your arm off then runs for help .......

Aaron

Yes, but is it related to genetics at all, or are pitbulls strong but sweet and all trained to be bad? Becasue that's kind of what you're saying, opr at least what it sounds like
As with almost anything, it's a combination of genetics and environment. We spent some time competing in obedience trials at UKC events with golden retrievers. Generally these were dual events conformation and performance. Pitbulls are UKC recognized and were a large part of the conformation segment. Generally they were outgoing, happy dogs. At one show we got to see the grand champion award go to a brindle male. The very next show he was excused for growling at the judge. I like pitbulls, but they are a breed for the experienced who are able to read dogs.

and locked jaws
That is a myth actually! All dogs have the potential to lock their jaws!
Neighbor shot him.. for trespass...
Jesus what kind of F-ed up neighbor do you have??!!
No dog should be left alone with small children especially!!!
Abso-rooting-tootley!
Most people don't own a real pit bull terrier. I would not listen to any "first hand" experience from people on the internet unless they've got a pedigree and papers to prove it.
Not like the AKC is doing great anyway...
But 100% agree that most times the kids are really asking for it and don't know it
x2
First off Pit Bulls aren’t a breed. It is a catch all term for a group of bully breeds and various crosses between them.
Thank you for finally clarifying!
after some research, i think it just depends on how the dog was raised, right?
Not always, genetics play a strong role here too.

Back
Top Bottom