PittMoss

Katiegeez

Chirping
Sep 29, 2021
Baltimore City, Maryland
Evening (or morning, afternoon, etc.!), all!

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience yet with or opinions regarding PittMoss coop bedding. I've been hearing a lot about PittMoss lately (looking at you, gardening podcasts), but really only within the gardening sphere. I was very surprised to see they had a poultry bedding option, but it makes total sense! I've tried searching the forums, but only saw one mostly irrelevant thread. So, wondering what folks thought, really.

For those not in the gardening sphere: PittMoss is a peat moss alternative developed in Pittsburgh (as a Ravens fan, I shiver sharing anything from that city :p), and was developed with sustainability in mind. This means it is mostly just recycled, sanitized paper products. Peat moss is an issue because it is a large carbon sink, yet it is a common (some may argue necessary) ingredient in potting mixes, so it is not exactly environmentally friendly (as in, the harvesting of peat moss releases a great amount of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere).

Hey! I actually use PittMoss Coop Bedding as we
l as https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sweet-pdz-koop-clean-chicken-bedding?cm_vc=-10005 (Koop Clean) from TSC. Both are great and I havent had any problems with either of the products... I definitely recommend that product. It soaks up moisture pretty well, but I normally clean my coop at least once every week so I havent noticed a problem with moisture. It doesn’t do much to keep smell out, but I use all natural coffe grounds for poultry bedding from Tractor Supply Co. (TSC). That helps to keep smell out. I simply sprinkle it over the PittMoss and it helps with smell. Overall, this is a great and extremely smart bedding!

So, wondering what folks thought, really.
I'd like to know exactly what is in it, really.
I quickly perused the link, and mostly saw a bunch of buzzwords.
One thing, is it really not dusty?
I would think it's either dusty or packed/matted when damp.

I actually use PittMoss Coop Bedding
How long have you used it....and how/where.

I'd like to know exactly what is in it, really.
I quickly perused the link, and mostly saw a bunch of buzzwords.
One thing, is it really not dusty?
I would think it's either dusty or packed/matted when damp.

How long have you used it....and how/where.
I have used it since i got my new chicks. About a year ago now. I use it on the nesting boxes!

I haven’t researched what else is in there, but I will do so!

Yes, it is in contact with their poop. My chickens pooped everywhere... my coop has a second floor that has nesting boxes, a small door, and some upstairs space which they sleep in and definitely poop in. I clean it our weekly.

Yes, it is in contact with their poop. My chickens pooped everywhere... my coop has a second floor that has nesting boxes, a small door, and some upstairs space which they sleep in and definitely poop in. I clean it our weekly
Ah, when you said nest boxes, I assumed it was only the nests where they lay.
Got pics of where you have it?
Clean out all the pittmoss, and replace, weekly?

Also, @aart are you the thread starter? Why are you asking me the questions? Just curious.
You offer experience and I wanted more details, to help me and others.
Anyone can do that on a public discussion forum,
not just the OP(original poster) or thread starter, right?

Back
Top Bottom