Pix of the Rescued Broilers :)

Quote:
Hope nobody does that. That would be terrible thing to do as if they were being controlled tested, one could destroy lots of animals outside of a facility. Plus, most test places take better care of their animals with more vet attendance than even the most spoiled home pet. That's your tax payer dollars :p

I wouldn't do that, knowing my luck I would get the chicken with aids and it would bite me.

Hahaha, man that would be some mean strain of aids to cross a genetic barrier that big to go off to infecting an avian species!

Hope I'm not about to ask something that has already been answered but
What are you going to do with these rescued broilers?

If you keep them, is it possible to get the weight down to where they can live a healthy life?

No they aren't from a lab. And labs do not take good care of their animals. Animals to them are disposable. They are THINGS not living beings. Please check out the recent stuff on HLS.

Well broilers do not live long lives, usually 6 months-18 mos. is the norm. But seeing as how MOST of them are doing well and running around the yard, scratching for goodies I am hoping they will make it to the max. life span. They are getting excersice and stimulation and them being out of a factory farm enviroment is really helping! I just want them to be able to life and be as happy as possible. And for some odd reason since they have shown up our egg production has gone thru the roof! Maybe its just a coincidence, but its weird just the same.
As we were about to put Henny Penny out today we notice she has gangrene dermatitis too. Which is odd as she's been on antibiotics but back inside she came. I guess another trip tot he vet is in order Monday...
I know you guys probably think its crazy to spend all the $ I do on them since they are not long lived and have problems for the start but to ignore their suffering would be wrong.

Quote:
Well, we won't get started on the war of this topic, but I have first hand experience with lab and animals do very well in our area. Can't say so for ALL places though. Speaking with vets in research and vets in public sector, the worst cases of animal care are in the private sector because owners often just don't know any better and choose to take the vet as a last chance, while animals in labs are watched over daily by trained people from tech to post PhD level. If a fish looks like it is in pain, there are protocols to how to care for it which are better than most people do in their own homes. Your birds are VERY lucky you care for them so much.

There are good and bad, the bad often over publicized because it gets attention. I guess we were both generalizing, as there are two ends of the spectrum and two ends of what people see.

As for your birds, I bet they can't wait till it heats up outside and they can lounge in the sun! I know mine are anxious for warm weather... it's literally freezing outside... I had to cover the eyes of Caleb when I scrolled past you pic of the bird in front of the heater, or else he'd get jealous.

I know most of you aren't going to like what I have to say, but it is the honest truth. I don't know the story behind these birds, but I find it difficult to believe that a 'factory farm' gave these birds to you to rescue when they are raised to be butchered by 8 weeks for meat. A factory farm would have done just that. Why weren't they butchered..were they condemned from meat processing? I just find this very odd. As for their lives, the most humane thing to do for most of them is put them down. They will not have any quality of life and the ones who cannot even walk, I just find that pitiful that anyone would leave them to suffer like that.

And before you all jump on me for my reaction to this post, please know that I raised a "meat bird" hen to maturity and know exactly what life these birds will live. While I felt I was doing something great by her, I would never do it again. It is all very sad and just a painful life for them. I realize where your heart is, but please think more about this...especially for the ones that are suffering.

Jody

being a vegetarian, i dont even understand why someone would breed a chicken that grew so fast and lived like this. they are beautiful lives and a few might need put to sleep, but i think some have a chance! in all....

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkjc,
No one ever said that they were givent o my by a factory farm. Someone who works at them, yes.
Sorry you think that an animal that has the potential to have health problems should be euthanized bc it "could" have them in the future. I am sure you might see it differently if you could see how happy they are in the yard now.

No idea...lets hope not.

Just to update everyone BFC, Henny Penny, and Farmer all passed today.

I made a post on the Everthing Else Chicken section.

Back
Top Bottom