Placed order! Question on breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seafood, Feb 26, 2008.

1. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Ordered my chickens yesterday! First batch ever. Got them from Meyer in Ohio. Ship date not for another 4 weeks. March can be iffy in PA but it has to be better than February.

Here is what I got. All hens. 3 Buff Orps, 2 Barred Rocks, 3 Brown Leghorns, 1 Jersey Giant.

My question. I wanted to have some brown and white eggs, so I got the three leghorns. I understand that they can be a bit more aggressive than these other breeds. Is this true? I am considering calling MeyerÂ’s back and taking the leghorns off the order and replacing with something else. What do you all think?

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    The Brown Leghorns I have had I don't consider more "aggressive" but they are certainly more active and quite a bit flightier than the dual purpose breeds. They do best in a free range situation (don't they all lol), but if you have to keep them cooped, that's ok too.

Any flock of chickens will have dominant (aggressive) hens and submissive hens, that's the nature of chickens.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The hens are fine. They're more stittish than other breeds, but not aggressive. The roosters, on the other hand, are more likely to be aggressive than other breeds (at least that has been my experience).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by