placement of shade tree

sayccrn

Songster
Jun 14, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, guys! So far my chicks are growing nicely and we should have an egg or two anytime now. That is if they don't wait til spring. As some of you may remember, I have absolutely no shade for the poor things. We managed fine this summer, but I was wanting a fairly quick growing full tree to help shade them in the years to come. I was hoping for a tree that could give back, like an almond tree or something like that, that doesn't get too tall. thinking about 15 feet tall. Thinking about placement of about 8 feet out from the southwest corner of the enclosure. Would this be right for GA shade in the summer? I have two dwarf pears nearby, so it cannot be too big/wide a tree. Anything helpful from anyone, would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like a plan as far as positioning, but I am not sure how rapidly almond trees grow and how long it would take to provide shade.

This may be a duplicate post. I would consider asking a local garden center that specializes in native plants. It may bring in local and nontoxic butterflies and yummy chicken snacks too. I'm sending native fruiting vines(host plants) up all run fencing, and using agaves for cover/conceal/defence. You should be in Gulf Fritillary area I know we saw them all the time near Augusta, GA. My native gardening geek knows what butterflies are eating his plants and which are nontoxic and has exhaustive knowledge. It has taken 9 months now but the plan is beginning to work as half my plantings are established. Bonus points for run hardening as well once that fence is a veritable thicket. Minus points to me for not having done a soil assay with the local extension. My soil is my biggest failure quite a few plants hate this salty silty clay.

My checklist is: Flowers, fruits, non toxic, host plants and native.

Last edited:
.. i would maybe consider something like a type a hedge plant also .. even a fast growing tree is going to take 5+ years to 'begin' to get big .. but as mentioned you need something that will grow good in your area .. here i have privet encasing my coop area, it grows to 15 or so feet and can be shaped around the coop and doors, better if it isnt actually up on it though so you have good visibility and can work on the coop etc ... anyway, a type of hedge plant will probably grow into shade much quicker .. while the hedge is coming up, in spring you could plant something like vining squash as an example on wire runs etc, just protect it with wire as its starting, 'trombetta' squash grows rapidly into a giant vine with big leaves and a bonus of excellent BIG squash to eat ...

Fruit trees are good, also viburnums, some have fragrant flowers too. You won't want to be spraying those fruit trees much, if at all, or managing peach borers, for example.
Native plants, small trees and large shrubs, with flowers, fruit, and good fall color.
Mary
I don't spray poison on my fruit trees, so no worry there!

Back
Top Bottom