Placing cage wheels in water didn't deter mice from climbing.šŸ˜ 

OP lives in NYC, so releasing them would definitely be inflicting the problem on someone else.
This op is set on buying humane traps to catch the mice and release them in their basement where the super lives, and is unwilling to kill. They made another thread on it. No traps or suggestions are going to help if they are just giving them a treat and putting them in the basement. The set of criteria given have no solution. I assume the super will eventually contact someone or buy a bunch of dangerous inhumane poison and will kill the mice in very painful ways. In the meantime their birds are also getting over run with mice.

I saw the other thread. I was trying to be diplomatic.
I was diplomatic until they insisted on releasing them in the basement and then suggested someone was doing drugs because they couldnā€™t understand why someone would choose to catch mice and release them in their home. Having lived in an infested building it makes me so mad to think that someone might be intentionally exposing others to mice. A child was bitten in my building and got sick and there was a huge lawsuit. We got out, but not everyone has that option and children donā€™t deserve to have vermin coddled and dumped at their door.

Also, hopefully itā€™ll keep people from wasting their time typing out suggestions, which have already been shot down in the other thread.

To the op:
For the record, putting furniture legs in water is for bed bugs, not mice/rats/roaches. Bed bugs canā€™t swim, the rest can.

OK, I have the solution to all the OP's problems. Why didn't I see it before???

To keep the mice from invading the quail cage after food, he can put food on the floor for them. He can buy little hamster-sized bowls and fill them with peanut butter, cracked grain, and other snacks so the poor little beasties won't have to exert themselves getting into the quail cage. Then he can lay some nice bedding down so they have somewhere to breed and a soft place to lay their little headsies. Since they love to gnaw, he can provide them with little hamster gnawing sticks, or better yet, some nice furniture. Then he can live happily ever after, and so can the mice.

The rest of us are wasting our time here. And OP, if you ever move to Arizona, please let me know so I can avoid renting to you. Enjoy your day!
Hahaha. Oh my gosh. U're full of such great advice. As a matter of fact, I WAS thinking of passing thru Arizona. We'll talk later about that room I'm going to rent. Thanks for the hospitality. šŸ˜Š

OK, I have the solution to all the OP's problems. Why didn't I see it before???

To keep the mice from invading the quail cage after food, he can put food on the floor for them. He can buy little hamster-sized bowls and fill them with peanut butter, cracked grain, and other snacks so the poor little beasties won't have to exert themselves getting into the quail cage. Then he can lay some nice bedding down so they have somewhere to breed and a soft place to lay their little headsies. Since they love to gnaw, he can provide them with little hamster gnawing sticks, or better yet, some nice furniture. Then he can live happily ever after, and so can the mice.

The rest of us are wasting our time here. And OP, if you ever move to Arizona, please let me know so I can avoid renting to you. Enjoy your day!
Great advice songster!

Geckolady. Sorry that wasnt clear
I really need to stay off the forums when I am feeling overly momish.:hmm
Oh, please don't stay away.šŸ˜‰ We actually need more people like u around here. I was somewhat confused because ur kindness and consideration truly caught me off-guard. Haha. I was starting to think that it was a mistake coming on this forum. Lol. But, u are so right though and I commend u for taking the stance that u did. Thank u. šŸ˜Š

Cats are very good deterrents as well.
If that is not an option, I would second the glue traps and snap traps as a good option to get rid of them.

Yes, mice and rats can swim. I'd set some snap traps around and get rid of him that way. Unfortunately, if you let them hang around, they're just going to multiply and carry disease into your quail's home and your home.
Snap trap, glue traps, or cover the cages in 1/4" hardware cloth. You may be able to try coating the legs in vaseline, combined with the water it may keep mice out. But then they will just migrate to your kitchen.
Vaseline it is.šŸ‘šŸ¼

Back
Top Bottom