Placing hatchery chicks under a broody?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DillardHome, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Hello BYCers!!

I ordered 10 EE chicks from Ideal due to arrive in the next couple days. I remember reading a post on BYC in the past about placing new chicks under a broody for her to raise, but I can't remember the details and can't seem to find it.

I currently have 3 broody hens (Japanese Bantam, Sumatra & a Silkie) that I have placed golf balls under. I recall the post suggested to place the babies under the broody at night and remove whatever she may be currently sitting on whether it's wooden eggs, golf balls, etc. so she thinks her eggs hatched.

Any advice or input??

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    That is way it is normally done. I would move which ever broody you plan on placing the fuzzy butts under to a safe place in case of other chickens being mean. After you place them under her after dark, keep an eye on her for a little while to make sure she accepts them. Good Luck, lets us know. [​IMG]

3. DillardHome

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Quote:Thanks for your reply!! [​IMG]

4. DillardHome

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    I'm wondering if I should divide the babies between two broodies.

Can one hen take care & keep warm all 10 babies?? [​IMG]

5. DillardHome

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Got my new babies this morning from Ideal. 8 EE Pullets & 2 EE Roos (let's hope they sexed them right [​IMG] ).

When it was dark we did the golf ball to chick exchange..lol. Slowly placing a chick under one of the broodies and taking a golf ball away. I divided them between 2 hens, one Sumatra & one Silkie. The hens seemed to enjoy having the little ones under them, so we will see for sure in the morning. Hoping all stays peaceful [​IMG]

6. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    good luck got my fingers crossed [​IMG]

7. DillardHome

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    ^ Thank you! [​IMG]

SUCCESS!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Both mommas are doing great with their adoptive babies. It's an amazing thing that these chicks instinctively took to their new mom, since all they knew their first 2 days of life is egg tray, a shipping box and a brooder (just during the day until nightfall when we placed them under the broodies). They snuggled underneath the broodies last night right away. SO SWEET! [​IMG]

Not to mention, the receptiveness of the broodies with the new chicks made my life a little easier. No brooder cleaning or heat lamp adjusting [​IMG] AND all I have to do is enjoy my new little cutie pies [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    so glad to hear it all turned out ok [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by