Placing my hens with my rooster.

nhall

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Hopefully someone can help my out here. My hens are 3 months old and have out grown their pen, I have a much larger space for them but are beloved pet rooster is in their. Will they be ok if I move them in with him? He is very sweet.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Why not just switch pens, but most roosters will put up with the young
D.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

It all depends on just how sweet your roo is. The only thing is that our pullets are very young and should not be mated with the roo yet, and he may try. Your pullets could get hurt. This would be my only concern. I would keep the pullets away from the roo until they are atleast 6 months of age. And when you do go to mix them in, I would keep them together but separated by wire or a cage for a week or two so they can get to know each other slowly just in case there is trouble.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to ours!

Maybe you could swap pens as gander suggested, until your hens are older as 2 Crows advised.

When you do combine them, do you really want fertile eggs? If not, keep the rooster away from them.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice above, swap pens and keep them separate until the girls are older, and then introduce them gradually.

Thank you all for your advice. I think I.will be building another big pen for the hens. I dont want to take my rooster out of his cause we have built many thinks in his pen for him in the past years.

Back
Top Bottom