Plan B Rooster not Mating Successfully

karenej

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2016
Northcentral Alabama
I had two brother roosters, both lavender ameraucanas, about 10 months old. One had a single straight comb and the other a pea/rose comb. The straight comb rooster was aggressive and dominant and he mated successfully with all of my hens. He tried to attack my son a few times so he went in the pot. The other one has been trying to mate with the hens but I have not seen a successful mating yet. The hens seem to be shunning him. They do stick with him when they free range but scoot out of the way when he makes a go for it. Will they eventually accept him or should I look for a new rooster?

If your first bird had a single comb he wasn't an ameraucana, they have to have pea combs. Are you sure they're ameraucanas and not easter eggers?

As for the other one not breeding, he very well might be mating successfully when you're not looking. He'll eventually get his technique down if he's having trouble now, just give it time. After it's been three weeks since you culled the first bird, crack an egg open and look for a white bullseye on the yolk. If you see one, it's fertile and he's mating successfully with your hens.

I'm not sure of their breeding since it was a backyard breeder. But they were sold as lavender ameraucanas. I was suspicious as well when one of the roosters had a straight comb. Their sisters are also laying a more greenish colored egg than bluish, so they are likely not the best quality. Thanks for your reply. I will look for fertile eggs in the next couple weeks.

welcome-byc.gif

How long has the other rooster been gone? If less than say 2 weeks, I'd just give things time.

Overall he looks good although I would like to know how meaty his breast is. Comb changes easy to see from distance come later as health declines. If his comb turns purple when he is exerted would be something I also look for.

He does have a lot of girl friends. You might be able to get him focused by isolating him from hens for a week or so then combining him only with hens you want to collect hatching eggs from. That will prevent dilution of semen that otherwise will go to hens you do have interest in hatching from.

Also pop him in the diet with some dark vegetative greens.

Back
Top Bottom