Plan to build MASSIVE coop mainly for eggs....

Hi amazing!

Quick question, do you know what is the pros and cons constructing a solid room for chickens compared to a wooden one?

Also is it neccesary to have a run attached to the coop?

Thanks

I came across this design on this site and I plan on copying this exact coop in my attempt...

Will it work? Obviously I will increase the sizes... Planning on going 8x8m??? Ideas?
Then i will build subsequent replicas of the same thing in a row..
I really don't want to make a mistake lol...

Hi, thanks your your input.

If I go with the "horse stable" style, there will be no run?

Is it necessary to have a run for the birds?
You don't "have to have a run" but it is nice. What you could do is make a run clear along the back of the building with a pop door out of each "stall". Alternate days and let a different stall out into the run each day. Close all the pop doors except the one that will be out today. Then they at least get out now and then for some bugs and to stretch their legs.

I came across this design on this site and I plan on copying this exact coop in my attempt...

Will it work? Obviously I will increase the sizes... Planning on going 8x8m??? Ideas?
This design is good for 10 hens tops. If you are only doing 50 hens, it is doable but it sounds like you are thinking of 100's of them. The design is very impractical on a large scale. It has to be simple to clean, secure, easy to add feed, easy to expand and cost effective. The design and layout must optimize your time spent doing chores.

To some real basic questions, how many hens are you talking about? How many different breeds? How much land? Budget? Timeline? Eggs vs chicks vs started pullets?

Here is what I would want for the operation you describe. This size would produce about 1500 peeps per week, or almost 80,000 per year. More buildings, more breeds, more peeps.

Last edited:
Here is what I would want for the operation you describe. This size would produce about 1500 peeps per week, or almost 80,000 per year. More buildings, more breeds, more peeps.

Thank you for drawing that up. That's pretty much exactly what i was envisioning. If you flip the nesting boxes to the inside, you do not need to enter the "coop" to collect eggs making that chore faster and easier to keep the eggs straight. You do down the aisle with a cart and each pen has it's flat for egg collection. Eggs are separated as you collect, You only need 4-6 nesting boxes per group so that would only take at most 3 square feet away from the interior space. Another advantage with this design is you are going to have to add supplemental light in the winter to be profitable. It won't take much and one or two lights down the aisle will illuminate the coops enough to keep the hens laying. You will reduce your construction costs by only needing wire fencing on the inside walls. The back and side walls will need to be predator proof and solid but as long as you can close and lock the doors you are good. The hens will generate enough heat in the winter with this set up so you will not need to heat their water to keep it from freezing.

The big advantage to having exterior runs beyond healthier and happier chickens is they will spend most of their time outside. If they are outside, they aren't pooping inside and making a mess. Less cleanup, less litter, saves money, more profit.

Last edited:
If you flip the nesting boxes to the inside, you do not need to enter the "coop"

Excellent point Percheron! I hadn't thought that part through completely. Roll out nest boxes would be great too.

Last edited:
LL

I want one of these!! Or two, or three.........

If you flip the nesting boxes to the inside, you do not need to enter the "coop"

Excellent point Percheron! I hadn't thought that part through completely. Roll out nest boxes would be great too.

Thank you for drawing that up. That's pretty much exactly what i was envisioning. If you flip the nesting boxes to the inside, you do not need to enter the "coop" to collect eggs making that chore faster and easier to keep the eggs straight. You do down the aisle with a cart and each pen has it's flat for egg collection. Eggs are separated as you collect, You only need 4-6 nesting boxes per group so that would only take at most 3 square feet away from the interior space. Another advantage with this design is you are going to have to add supplemental light in the winter to be profitable. It won't take much and one or two lights down the aisle will illuminate the coops enough to keep the hens laying. You will reduce your construction costs by only needing wire fencing on the inside walls. The back and side walls will need to be predator proof and solid but as long as you can close and lock the doors you are good. The hens will generate enough heat in the winter with this set up so you will not need to heat their water to keep it from freezing.

The big advantage to having exterior runs beyond healthier and happier chickens is they will spend most of their time outside. If they are outside, they aren't pooping inside and making a mess. Less cleanup, less litter, saves money, more profit.

LL

I want one of these!! Or two, or three.........
Thank you Guys...Amazing design and tips... I will see to get working on this ASAP. Will post pics as I go along.

Thanks once again

I am unsure of the climate where you live, and I am also in the dark concerning the type of predators you'll need to deal with. The last plans with the 10x12 stall and the 12x50 runs looks good but for it to really work like you need it too, especially with the 6 meter[?] or 6 foot[?] isle down the center it looks to me like the center portion should be under one roof. This will also make it easier to supply electric lights and running water. This area will also serve for feed and clean litter storage.

In that case why not save the cost of one wall and use your savings in building materials to increase your run sizes to 24 feet or even to 32 feet by 10. This should increase each housing unit to handle up to 100-120 hens and roosters.

I also suppose that you'll want to raise your own replacement pullets & hens or cockerels & roosters. For this a series of smaller stand alone brood pens are needed to house a trio (one rooster and two hens) up to maybe a dozen of your best and least related stock of what ever breed or variety that you decide to offer for sale. However if you chose the birds in your big pens wisely and cull them judiciously every generation you may can do away with the smaller brood pens and hatch your replacements out of your 10 big pens.

Back
Top Bottom