Planet Rothschildi Project Coming up on 16 Years

This mob of brumbies -- mustangs -- I've only ever seen three times. The footage is poor because it's deep dusk. These horses have been living in the National Park for decades and decades. But they come across to my block, as do the emus, from the Park.

Torresian crow. Check the background, readers. U.S. folks can learn a lot about emus from the backgrounds of my photos.

Emus grow and live and breed and travel according to the seasons. A hatchling, for example, begins to become a 'black head' at the beginning of its second season.

The bird birth has been almost ritually filled with fresh water time and time again over a decade or more. At this time of year, kangaroos even come to drink in broad daylight.

Toosh Toosh Emu is unmistakeable. His fine tail plumage makes him one of only two or three recognisable emus of the Project. The two sookey females here for breakfast at dawn this morning are his chicks.

One rarely, while watching birds, get to see them from the back. Here is a pair of scarlet-breasted robins, I assume a male and female, attacking their images in the mirror of the 'greenhouse.' So you can see both front of rear of both male and female.

Greedy Emu is one of only two ever 'double Alpha' birds observed here. The other was her father, the legendary Eric the Emu.

Greedy could -- and would -- whup any thousand million billion tame emus she encountered. I've seen her attack a mob of a dozen wild emus (at the fig tree) and drive them off.

I met Greedy in maybe October, 2008. Present status unknown -- but her sister Felicity Emu came through about two years ago.

Really really hot day? Let's go down to the dam for a swim! Emus love to swim. Their Dads take them swimming as chicks.

This clutch is Toosh Toosh's. It's their second summer -- so they are about 17-19 months old. They have been independent of their Dad for about 9-11 months at this point, and had recently lost the fifth chick (visible in one of the photos above).

Back
Top Bottom