Planned coop design in progress

TrialandError

Songster
8 Years
Jul 23, 2015
SW Florida
So I have a vision in my head for a coop and run. The coop I'm thinking will be 5x5x5. With the run I think 9x7x5. The base of coop will be 4x4 so I can screw the walls down to it with hardware mesh nailed to it and 1x2 nailed to cover it. I am over building this coop cause we got bears. The walls will be made with 2x4s. Here are a few pics I hope

This will be the back of the coop where the door is.

This is where the nest boxes will be and there will be a window over it.

This side faces the woods and has 2 windows.

This side is where the chicken will go in and out it also has 2 windows.

All windows will have hardware cloth over them and will measure 12x5. I am also going to fabricate screen inserts to help keep mosquitos out.

Cool little model!

I'd go with something larger and based on nominal lumber specs of 4 and 8 feet to save on waste lumber.
8x8x8 would be a good start, you're going to want more room than you think, both for ease of maintenance and chicken math.
Being able to split the coop into to sections when adding chickens, isolating sick or trouble makers, broody hens, etc cannot be overvalued.

Hot wire all around coop and run is the best (some say only) protection against bears.

I have been playing around with the design and numbers and am thinking of the coop being 8x8x7. I want to eventually try meat birds and so will disign the coop so I can split it in the middle and have my egg layers on one side and meat birds on the other. There will be 2 doors so each side can come and go from the coop into the run as they please and the run will be able to be divided as well. When I don't have meat bird the while coop and run will be wide open for my egg layers. I am working on sketching up my idea but will post pics of it when done if they look decent enough.

Well my hubby has completely changed my design plan. But I have finally broken ground on starting to level the area where the coop os going.

I have the base down which is pressure treated 2x4x8s with chicken wire nailed down. Then for the walls the bottoms are pressure treated as well. The whole thing is 8x8. The front is 8ft high and goes down to 7ft in the back.

Hi!
frow.gif
That looks like a nice sturdy coop. Bears?
hide.gif
If it gets really cold where you are, you may want to save a spot for ventilation up high to let fresh air in and moisture out if and when you need to close the windows. Sure looks nice!

I'm in Florida so thankfully not to cold here. Where I just moved to deffinatley has bears. Kind of worried about them. Hopefully get to do more work on it tomorrow.

Got a bit more done today. Roof would have been done, but I was a 2x4x10 short :(. My husband has been a trooper with helping me seeing as he didn't want me to have chickens to begin with.

[/IMG]

Still have some odds and ends that need to be done. All I have been able to do so far is roofing glue/tar along all the edges and hinge the door. When the rain lets up for a couple hour stretch I will paint. In the mean time I have to cut a pop door and rig a tract for it. Make roosts and nest boxes. Make the run. I got a couple chicks since the coop is almost done. Will be by the time they are ready to go out in it. I got 2 rhode island reds, a golden sex link, buff orpington, and a barred rock. Hope to get an ameracauna soon too as I want green eggs lol.

Back
Top Bottom