Planning for chickens (again) after 20 years

Stephka

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hi everybody,

My name is Stephanie, and I haven't had chickens in 20 years (since I was a kid). In January, we purchased a 100-year old farmhouse on just over 1-acre. I have been planning for chickens, ever since we signed the papers for the house.

I have decided on the Delaware breed, since we would like to use them for both eggs, and meat birds/broilers.

So, that's a little bit about me!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome back to the chicken world!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the 100 year old home! Sounds like a lot of work, but very rewarding in the end. And yes, you need chickens!!

You have been left some great links to follow to get you started. Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

When am I starting on the chicken coop? Well, that's a multi-part question. We started the plans in January, but after some careful thought, we have decided to wait until next year to add chickens. There are many steps involved in getting the coop ready/started:

1) We need to remove a large utility shed (20' x 60')
2) We need to remove debris that was left behind on the dirt in the shed, to make it chicken safe.
3) The soil under the shed has been packed down for the last 90 years and so it needs to be tilled and planted with clover, buckwheat, sunflowers, berries

After we get that handled, then we will be moving a 98 year old building from another area on the property to be re-purposed as our hen-house. After that, we can put up some chicken fencing.

We'd like to let the area have this summer/fall to get established before we add chickens... so.. we plan to get things started in the next few weeks, but we don't plan on getting chicks until next spring.

Back
Top Bottom