Planning for first ducks

kunsangsean

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Hey duck folks! We're looking into getting a troop of ducks for bug control in our backyard orchard and garden and I'm trying to answer some questions before we move forward to make sure it'll all work out ok.

Breed. I'm leaning towards all drakes since we're not concerned about eggs but are concerned about neighbor complaints on noise. We can have up to 6 per city ordinance. Looking at runners and welsh harlequins. I've heard that muscovies are quiet, but also can fly which complicates things. My wife wants hens because they are cute, especially the welsh harlequins. And I agree, but I'm concerned that if the noise is an issue we'll have to eat the hens and I don't think that will go over well. Any experience on whether it's best to have all one breed or ok to mix? I've had some past experience with hen chickens where the smaller breed got beat up pretty good by the bigger breed.

Bugs. Two of our biggest bug problems are earwigs and squash bugs. People talk a lot about ducks for controlling slugs and snails, which in our semi-desert climate in Idaho we don't have issues with. Anyone have experience with runner ducks eating bugs like earwigs? I like ducks more, but if chickens would be better for these bugs that could be worth doing.

Automatic door to coop. In the summer we leave town for weekend trips and the occasional week long trip, and I would like to not have to depend on our neighbors for putting ducks away. In our suburban neighborhood I haven't seen a raccoon in 5 years of living here, so I don't think predator pressure is high but I wouldn't want to risk it. I have friends who've had great luck with automatic doors for chickens when leaving town a few days. But I just read that ducks don't have the same homing instinct as chickens. Anyone have solutions for this? So far the only thing I've thought of is that we put them in at night manually when we are home, and build a large fully enclosed run that they'll stay locked in when we leave town.

Any input you have would be great, including things I may have forgotten to think of here. Thanks! - Sean

Hey Sean, :welcome !

Yes, female ducks are LOUD, except for Muscovy which have the sweetest little trill. They are also a completely different breed. If you wanted to get those, and are worried about them flying, then I would clip their flight feathers. Otherwise, an all-drake flock is also a good idea.

Some breeds are better foragers and bug munchers than others. Just remember that they don't just eat bugs, they will eat vegetation, too. My garden was destroyed by mine, and by the end of the summer I had no lawn left! That didn't really bother me much, but my daughter (who own the place) was not impressed.

In the end, the breed comes down to your preference. Research the various ones, and see if they fit with your lifestyle.

As for an automatic door, I wouldn't bother. I came home late a few times just to find all the ducks still out in the yard, dozing in the dark. The chickens had gone in to roost. If you plan on being away, I would recommend an enclosed run for them. Make sure it's predator-proof with good meshing all around, including the top.

Hope that helps!

Hey Sean, :welcome !

Yes, female ducks are LOUD, except for Muscovy which have the sweetest little trill. They are also a completely different breed. If you wanted to get those, and are worried about them flying, then I would clip their flight feathers. Otherwise, an all-drake flock is also a good idea.
Thanks! Yes that does help. I have read that ducks also eat plants, so I am planning that we would fence off the vegetable beds and let them roam under our fruit trees and in our native plant beds. I have read they eat tender greens like lettuce, kale, etc. Do you know if they would also eat things like blueberry leaves and fruit tree leaves (peach, apple)? I know I've seen chickens defoliate the lower branches of fruit tress, so that's one reason I don't know if they'll work in our orchard.

Thanks! Yes that does help. I have read that ducks also eat plants, so I am planning that we would fence off the vegetable beds and let them roam under our fruit trees and in our native plant beds. I have read they eat tender greens like lettuce, kale, etc. Do you know if they would also eat things like blueberry leaves and fruit tree leaves (peach, apple)? I know I've seen chickens defoliate the lower branches of fruit tress, so that's one reason I don't know if they'll work in our orchard.
Mine didn't touch the leaves of our apple and cherry trees, but any windfall fruit was fair game. It was quite funny to watch them chase each other to get the apples!

My Cayuga hen is fairly quiet especially in comparison to my my roen hens and she is one of my best hunters.
My duckies will not go to bed unless headed though this is fairly easy. "Go to bed duckies, bed time for duckies" is a cue to go into to hit but they don't ever put themselves away (they are almost 4 now).
Basically hens could work depending on breed and you could have the added benefit of eggs. But you need to observe the drake to hen ratios if you have mixed genders.
My sister in-law free ranged her ducks and they never put themselves away like chickens would resulting in her loosing most of her ducks especially if they got broody and hid somewhere on a nest (she also lived up north where the predators are worse even than by me) chickens might be a better option for straight up big control as they are less maintenance and are a bit smarter than ducks haha!

Muscovy get a bad rap but it’s owners who release them to fend for themselves that cause most of the issues. They are an awesome duck breed if you have to worry about noise. And they eat flies. Older birds don’t care to fly off and the drakes are usually too heavy to get off the ground much. They are very personable and act more doglike than other breeds.

But they don’t eat squash bugs. I think they taste bad because the girls would try them then spit them out.

Back
Top Bottom