Planning for winter

Gypsi

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 20, 2010
North Texas - chickens 10 yrs
As I had to rush to convert a cozy in hot weather Texas coop for a blizzard last winter, and I was out there every 30 minutes taking them thawed water, I have decided to plan while the sun is shining. I am planning a greenhouse, tucked in the corner between the back of my garage and the west fence. This corner will be best protected from north and west winds. It is going to be an 8x8 greenhouse, and is fairly close to electricity (If I need a chicken water warmer). In a super hard freeze, does it sound crazy to have a mini-pen underneath the greenhouse shelves. We are talking 2 or 3 days at most. There will be tubs with water lilies in deep water in there, and plants I don't want eaten, so I'm guessing I'll have to build a cage of sorts, also to keep rodents away from everything in there.

Anyone got any ideas or tips? There will be vents at the top to vent moisture a bit, I think. Still in the planning and material accumulation stage. I've been picking up old windows. Figure the bottom 24 to 30 inches will be plywood walls, and that would be the back wall, south side, away from the garage, for the hens. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom