Planning on starting my first incubation hatch, what are things i should know before, durning and af

papileo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Los Angeles, California
I have read many threads about people hatching their eggs in incubators, whether they are homemade or bought from a trusted website. Everyone has their own methods of egg incubation and I want to soak up as much useful information as I can. For the experts that hatch by the dozen or have hatched for a respectable amount of years, I want to know what worked and even what did not work for you while incubating chicken eggs. I have not started anything yet but I'm thinking of making my own incubator out of a styrofoam cooler, not that I don't want to buy an incubator but I want to do something that is fun and that is worth the time to make my own incubator. I have the materials so far and I have made my research about the build and the correct temperature and humidity but I do not mind if you guys include that you are more than welcome. I want to make this process fun and a very good experience, and most importantly as smooth as it possibly can and hopefully with the help of the BYC familyI can share my new flock members to the world haha. I'll shut my mouth now and wait and see what you guys have to offer.
clap.gif

Just a young 17-year-old living city that loves the farm life, Thanks!

Personally, I don't like to re-invent the wheel.

I would: buy yourself a styro incubator and get used to using it. They are painful at best, but you will learn the processes and most importantly, what works for you! What I do with my incubator here, probably won't work for you, and vice versa.

Once you master one of the hardest tools to use, then build your own based on what you like and how you like to do it.

We bought our first incubator and then modeled our hatcher after it. Without having prior experience, I never would have been able to build what fit our needs. And even though they are almost clones of each other, they are completely different beasts.

Just my 2c, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom