Planning on Turkeys in may..this is what i have so far

I am not sure my space allows for 8 turkeys. 🤔🤔

Goal is 2 turkeys and a peacock for pets. Anyone else will be harvested despite hen or tom.
We won't be breeding as I don't really have the room to house a ton of turkeys (property of freezer lol)

It sounds like we have slightly different goals as well.

In the end I will have pet turkeys. Yes I will harvest extras, and ideally would like to semi regularly, (haven't mastered that plan yet)
But as I said, space is an issue.
Sure. Just an idea. Plenty of people are getting turkeys every year to raise up just that season.

Added some more to the turkey tower yesterday. Myself and the minors will continue to work on it today. Hubby has been tasked to help me with the roof lol

Attachments

• 20221005_140227.jpg
    20221005_140227.jpg
    866.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221005_140240.jpg
    20221005_140240.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221005_123554.jpg
    20221005_123554.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 6
So after some thought and walking by the wood bins at work enough I decided to patch up my pallet Turkey Tower.

Here's the deal. The wood is from broken pallets. PLANKS that have broken off of pallets go in the wood bin. The one down side is the nails are pretty much bent all to heck and likely can't be removed. It turned me off for a little while...then I decided imma take some and try it. I took all I could find over the wkend and brought them home.

The result was a lot of wood with a lot of bent nails sticking out. 🤔🤔🤔

Here goes nothing...

The minors and I just followed the bend and hammered them down against the wood plank 😬😬😬

We then started piecing it together. Now I understand this will not completely seal off the Tower which is totally fine in my book. Air flow and ventilation are needed and the turkeys DO NOT need a 4 sided solid coop.

This is for wind block mainly.
And so I am not using tarps inside the Tower.

So tonight, we placed boards where we thought they'd fit and took a look inside the Tower.

WE CANT SEE NAILS!!!

this will be my method for "closing off" the Tower.

I will continue to take broken off planks from work and finishing patching. This pile will get me one side and a touch on the other. The front wall was covered by left over OSB so that doesn't have to be patched.

(Excuse the weird look to the pics! My phone seems to only work taking pics on the zoom out option now....🙄🙄)

We will be attaching the boards tomorrow.

I will also be wrapping 4ft tall hardware cloth around the coop to help deter little critters from getting in and making a home somewhere I do not wish to have them, but also an attempt to keep bigger preditors out that may wanna check things out

Their run will be fenced 5ft high then have netting but even still a little extra precaution.

Attachments

• 20221011_163026.jpg
    20221011_163026.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221011_163032.jpg
    20221011_163032.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221011_163036.jpg
    20221011_163036.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221011_164710.jpg
    20221011_164710.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221011_165142.jpg
    20221011_165142.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 8
I am concerned about the structural integrity of your pallet shed/enclosure, from what I can see in the photos.

First, I don't see any vertical structural posts/boards to hold everything upright. Screws or bolting them together aren't enough. A good high wind or bad thunderstorm will bring it down. Adding the boards to close gaps just makes them like a sail. A darn heavy sail, but still...
Second, the pallet edges are sitting directly on the ground. They WILL rot out within a year or two, further weakening your structure.

What I would do, at this point without dismantling and starting over: Put some flat patio blocks or flagstones under the edges of the structure at each joint. You can use a long pry-bar or stiff pipe to make a lever, and lever it up a few inches. Slide a stone under. Or, dig underneath the edge - all the way around - enough to slip stones underneath at the joints and corners. (Fill the gap with gravel after you install the hardware cloth.) Then add a 4x4 post (or two 2x4's screwed together) inside each corner, sunk into the ground 18-24". Use pressure-treated lumber so it won't rot.

At the very least, you could give it some better wind resistance by adding a piece of lumber, 3' or 4' long at each corner - attached to your top rail, at an angle crossing the corner and attached to each side. I'd probably add a shorter piece at the mid-point of each corner, too.

Back
Top Bottom