Planning out my WIR. What toys/things to include

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ThinkingChickens, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm planning out the final details of our walk in run. What toys or climbing objects should I incorporate? I was planning on some roosting bars inside for hot nights when the girls would prefer not to go in the coop. I'm also planning to run a misting system out there and a bug zapper on the outside. The base will be sand and the door will open in. What fun things should I add? Thanks!

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a log attached to the top of the run, suspended as a swing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am going to stack some cement blocks so they can climb and file their nails a bit.

Question: is there a specific reason for your door to swing in?
    We are "under construction" and my DH asked how I wanted the door to swing -shrugs-

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow- what a great idea to suspend a log from the top!

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Unless you are in the desert southwest, forget the mister. In areas where the humidity stays above 40% the mister does more harm than good (wet litter, floors etc.) as the mist does not evaporate quickly. Doesn't do much to cool the
    chickens either, as the mist just gets on the outer layer of their feathers which act as a little raincoat.

Chickens love to scratch in dirt. One good idea that is often overlooked is just to turn over some dirt with a shovel in the run. You will be surprised at how long they will dig around in that dirt. Keeps 'em occupied. Also stirs up the litter,
    kind of making their own compost.

The concrete block idea is good too. Something for them to climb on and explore. Some branches for them to climb on. I have put a container of dirt (about 4" deep) in their coop so that they can get dirt baths when they are in there
    for any period of time.

Swing the door out. It won't scatter chickens every time it is opened and gives you more usable inside area. As an aside, I made my door a dutch door where I can just open the top half to scatter treats, etc.

5. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    Ah, see I thought I had to have the door open in. I wanted the door to open out so this is good! As for the misters, I'm in CA. We have 0% humidity and a dry baking heat of about 90-100 through summer. The girls will have shade but I was looking for other way to cool them. I don't suppose they like baby pools. I LOVE the suspended log idea. Have you seen your chickens use this yet?

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    To keep 'em cool, just dig a hole and let them dust bathe in the cool dirt!

Mine LOVE dustbathing in the little holes I've dug all around the yard (under trees and near the wall of the house especially).

[​IMG]

7. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I *love* that run in the pictures!

My girls love it if I hang something up high, like a cabbage, and they have to fly up to peck at it.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I keep a cement block, a large baking pan of water for them to stand in, and a full length mirror (my roo is vain [​IMG] ) in the run. I would have roosts but I have escape artists. [​IMG] They have an area for dustbathing and grass to pick through. [​IMG]

9. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:When I saw this I had to remind myself that envy is one of the 7 deadly sins [​IMG] This is beautiful!!!

10. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    The hanging flower baskets are definitely on my list. I'm also putting up a few signs. One will say Maison d'oeuf (Egg house) and the other will say "In case of emergency bake, broil or grill," as my husband's hobby is disaster preparedness. When he gets home I'll show him the suspended log!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by