Planning to own chickens

Hope you will enjoy your Buff Orps as much I as do mine. The not-very-creatively named Honey is the chicken queen here. She is the last of my original hens, and while she is not overtly aggressive, she will hand out pecks to anyone who challenges her right to rule all the roosts! As a true Orp, she is beautifully fluffy and heavy bodied enough that flight isn't a real option for her. But nobody moves faster when grape treats are being handed out.

Welcome to BYC and congratulations on soon acquiring a flock!

:welcome :woot:woot:celebrate:yesss: Hello Alex, Welcome to BYC Forum. Your on an awesome poultry Forum with a lot of great knowledgeable members with valuable information who are willing to jump in and help you along the way.

IMO, it's best to keep your dog away from your new poultry to be on the safe side of things. I have seen a number of post where peoples family dogs have attracted their poultry out of the blue for no apparent reason and now they are on the Forum asking for help with trying to doctor on their hurt bird. Never a good thing. :(

I am not trying to saying that it's impossible and they cant be friendly toward each other and nothing may never happen. It's unrealistic to own any type of breed of canine that's a bird dog and expect them to never go after poultry.

Best of luck and please keep us post and pics are always appreciated. :celebrate

I am fortunate maybe I keep large breeds who understand the word "No" if you own yappier ones I do not know how it ends. Regardless, I wish you the best!
I have had 6 large breeds that understand the word "No". All of them would have killed a chicken so fast that I wouldn't have had the chance to utter the word. Some dogs just cannot be trusted around chickens. Their prey drive is too high. Especially outside of the house.

Back
Top Bottom