Plant Bedding Toxic to Chickens?

BanoOmg

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
Southern California
Hello!

I live in Southern California. The owner of the property is really into native landscaping, but I'm having trouble finding information on a few of the plants. Google just wants to sell me stuff and leave out portions of my searches, and it's super annoying.

I've looked at a couple of the poisonous plants threads, and I haven't seen these listed, but I'd love a correction in case I'm wrong.

Are these plants okay to use as part of the bedding in a chicken run?

Laurel Sumac (Malosma Laurina)
Black Sage (Salvia Mellifera)
White Sage (Salvia Apiana)
Flat Top Buckwheat (Eriogonum Fasciculatum)
Lemonade Berry (Rhus Integrifolia)

None of these are toxic to humans, but I know that means jack-squat. Laurel Sumac is totally different than poison sumac, but there is a very small number of people that are allergic to it.

I'm planning on doing DLM in the run, and it would be cool if I could just throw a bunch of plant trimmings into a wood chipper instead of buying them.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Your right, google isn't saying. Chickens are smart and usually stay away from poisonous plants. If you are worried about consumption, then you could take a leaf of every plant that you ar concerned about, and toss it in there run. Then let them check it out, and see if they eat it or not.

Your right, google isn't saying. Chickens are smart and usually stay away from poisonous plants. If you are worried about consumption, then you could take a leaf of every plant that you ar concerned about, and toss it in there run. Then let them check it out, and see if they eat it or not.

Thanks for the response!

I'm more worried about passive exposure to toxins. I've read that tannins are harmful to their respiratory system, and so will NOT be using our abundant oak wood for chipping and bedding. It may just be paranoia though.

I guess I'll find out!

Back
Top Bottom