Plantation Ordinance

Jun 9, 2017
can you have chickens in plantation Florida. I've been looking everywhere and can't find a "no chickens" just can have sounds. Other people near me have chickens so i decided to get some. But someone complained and code enforcement gave me a notice to get rid of the chickens and deconstruct the coop. Its a large coop because my dogs try to eat my chickens so i gave them a place to run. It was a lot of one as well.

(Edit: i meant to say can't have sound.) But when i look there is nothing against having the chickens that's why i thought i can have them. On the plantation website it said the person complained on june 13 but i got the notice on wednesday. The guy said it was not because of sound but either way my rooster started crowing on july 2 so it couldn't be noise. So basically someone looked into my yard to find out. I really want to keep my chickens (not even a single egg yet). I scheduled a hearing and i need a valid explanation to keep my chickens. Please help.

Looks like up to 25 are allowed according to this:
https://library.municode.com/search?stateId=9&clientId=3888&searchText=poultry&contentTypeId=CODES
I'd probably get rid of my rooster if I were you so I didn't run afoul of the noise ordinance. Otherwise, assuming you meet any property line setbacks, etc. it looks like you may have a good case for keeping them.

He is already gone. But thanks that is a very good reason. Do you know which area of plantation this is.

Last edited:
Bob - looks like we both got caught. I also thought they were allowed. However, it clearly isn't and the code they are using is 27_646, which reads:
Other than in the RS-1EP zoning
districts of the City of Plantation and the aforedescribed council-designated areas of vacant land where
commercial farming and grazing of livestock are permitted on a temporary basis as a nonconforming use
of land (as herein defined and set forth), no animals, livestock, poultry or barnyard fowl of any kind shall be
raised, kept, or harbored; except that dogs, cats and other household pets may be kept, provided they are
not kept, bred or maintained for commercial purposes.

I'm really depressed - our girls were our pets and we are re-homing them today. I want to fight this and get this rule changed (so I can get chickens again). Please please reach out to me so we can coordinate and get started on changing this rule. Also - if you know other people in Plantation w/ chickens, please reach out to them. I'm happy to lead this effort - but I'm looking for others to help.

Bob - looks like we both got caught. I also thought they were allowed. However, it clearly isn't and the code they are using is 27_646, which reads:
Other than in the RS-1EP zoning
districts of the City of Plantation and the aforedescribed council-designated areas of vacant land where
commercial farming and grazing of livestock are permitted on a temporary basis as a nonconforming use
of land (as herein defined and set forth), no animals, livestock, poultry or barnyard fowl of any kind shall be
raised, kept, or harbored; except that dogs, cats and other household pets may be kept, provided they are
not kept, bred or maintained for commercial purposes.

I'm really depressed - our girls were our pets and we are re-homing them today. I want to fight this and get this rule changed (so I can get chickens again). Please please reach out to me so we can coordinate and get started on changing this rule. Also - if you know other people in Plantation w/ chickens, please reach out to them. I'm happy to lead this effort - but I'm looking for others to help.

That really stinks i really wanted to keep them but i guess this proves we can't. so far i only got 2 eggs because we raised them by chicks.

Back
Top Bottom