Planting a berry bush in the run?

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I was wondering if I could plant some type of berry bush in the run to entertain my flock and give them something to eat (of course, only when it grows berries). Can I do this? What types of berries should I use? Thanks in advanced!

My six chickens destroyed my strawberry patch. They took a liking to the leaves even before all the berries were gone and now the area is bare! I planted a small 1 gallon jasmine vine hoping to grow a privacy screen so the neighbors wouldn't have to see the chicken run over the fence. They ate that too. Ditto for the Lima beans. It seems like whatever you plant has to be protected while it establishes itself into a much larger plant else it will be eaten to nothing.

Anything you put in the run will be eaten and scratched out of existence quickly. If you plant a bush inside a fenced enclosure in the run so that the plant will eventually grow through the wire, it can survive. They can eat from the branches that come through the wire. The same could be said for planting something next to the run. The branches can reach into the run.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom