Planting grass seed in the new run...

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
I have never planted grass seed before, and I have no existing lawn, just a thick shaggy carpet of seasonal weeds that, thankfully, my feather babies find very appetizing. I bought Scott's Turfbuilder Dense Shade Mix (fescue of various heights) back in spring, but due to illness and bad weather could not plant it. I want to plant it in the new chicken yard (which is fairly bare from construction damage) while waiting for the fence to be installed. How long should I wait for it to establish a root system before introducing the chickens to their new salad bar? Like I said, it's all fescue, which I understand is an aggressive rooter. The soil is Ultisol (dense red clay). Thank you!

Depending on how many chickens will be on it, and how big an area you have, there probably is a slim chance your grass will survive the chickens, even if you give the grass a head start. Of course, 4 chickens in a 20 by 50 run wouldn't be too hard on grass, but in average situations--say 10 chickens in a 12 by 12 run, even well established grass won't survive more than a couple weeks.
It's just one of those facts that we all have to accept. Then we look for some thing to put in the run as mulch.

I have never planted grass seed before, and I have no existing lawn, just a thick shaggy carpet of seasonal weeds that, thankfully, my feather babies find very appetizing. I bought Scott's Turfbuilder Dense Shade Mix (fescue of various heights) back in spring, but due to illness and bad weather could not plant it. I want to plant it in the new chicken yard (which is fairly bare from construction damage) while waiting for the fence to be installed. How long should I wait for it to establish a root system before introducing the chickens to their new salad bar? Like I said, it's all fescue, which I understand is an aggressive rooter. The soil is Ultisol (dense red clay). Thank you!
How large is this run? How many chickens do you have?
If it is a run/pen with less than 300-400 sq ft per bird, don't bother seeding it. They will have it a desolate waste land in less than a month. Just put down a thick layer of wood chips for run litter.

17 chickens, 700 square feet. I don't expect a lawn, I bought the grass to be early spring fodder until the weeds grow up. I can plant it in the front yard and hand pick if necessary, but I don't have a lawn mower. All I really need to survive are enough tufts to keep spreading roots.

All you need is a growing frame.

They work great... think a square of wood with wire over the top. The chickens can eat the grass that pops up past the wire, but can't scratch up the roots.

Rather than grass, how about a food plot/ forage or seed mix as offered by Pheasants Forever? Mixed plants are best!
Mary
Never heard of that, thanks! I already bought the fescue, so I will have to use what I have and hope for the best, at least this year.

All you need is a growing frame.

They work great... think a square of wood with wire over the top. The chickens can eat the grass that pops up past the wire, but can't scratch up the roots.

Great idea!!! I have some poultry netting I can use to make one. Thanks!

Do you have the choice of rotation? Say give them a day a week on the new plot?

It will take a few months atleast to get established, and not the months that have snow either! ;)

Back
Top Bottom