Plants for grazing frames

starchicky

Songster
8 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Oregon
Hey folks,
I've been using grazing frames for a few months now and really like it! Yet so far my chickens really only eat the grasses I've grown, and don't go for clover or other plants that I've tried. I have three grazing beds and grow one type of plant per bed so it grows well and plan to rotate in a nitrogen fixer.

What plants do your chickens really go for? There's got to be something my chickens will like other than grass.

Mine will eat anything I throw into the run. Dandelions are a favorite, and are high in nutrition. I'd recommend that you plant a variety of seeds in each one: perhaps some grass, clover, dandelion, oat, wheat, kale or other brassicas

Hey folks,
I've been using grazing frames for a few months now and really like it! Yet so far my chickens really only eat the grasses I've grown, and don't go for clover or other plants that I've tried. I have three grazing beds and grow one type of plant per bed so it grows well and plan to rotate in a nitrogen fixer. <Snip!>

Kudzu? Hold on, maybe it's not as silly as it sounds, it grows fast (how many birds do you have?), and is very nutritious. http://www.feedipedia.org/node/258 In fact one of the reasons it was brought to the states was so it could be used as a fast growing livestock feed. Granted you would have to be sure it's roots are fully contained so it doesn't spread*, and that you cut any flowers the chickens don't eat so it doesn't go to seed. But other than that it should take care of itself.

*And it will spread if given the chance!

Last edited:
Hey folks,
I've been using grazing frames for a few months now and really like it! Yet so far my chickens really only eat the grasses I've grown, and don't go for clover or other plants that I've tried. I have three grazing beds and grow one type of plant per bed so it grows well and plan to rotate in a nitrogen fixer.

What plants do your chickens really go for? There's got to be something my chickens will like other than grass.
Nice frame!
Mine wouldn't leave those plants tips exposed...what is the plant growing in this pic?
Are you growing clover under 1/2" HC too....does it grow up thru the mesh?

Back
Top Bottom